DIY down and dirty 90g/40b sump on the cheap (ballin' on a budget)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1408245108058.jpg
Sump is a 40b.

Its an oddball set up. I wont be disuaded. I do not want to baffle the sump, I've baffled sumps before and I just don't like them, plus its tedious and everyone does it. I want this system not to be reliant on a custom tank for the sump. I want to be able to replace or switch the tank. Maybe to something smaller or to something larger if I change my mind down the road. I want it completely modular.

Ive alwys wanted a trickle tower for ease of maintenance. The mechanical media drawers are accessible above the water line. They are in the open. Easy stuff, cheap media I can just throw away. No filter socks to rinse. I will be incorpoating a fail safe in the tower incase the mechanical media clogs. And imo you cant beat floss/polyfill. Its the bees knees.

The tower will be an acrylic box with a sterlite/rubbermaid stacking drawer inside of it.

Essentially a herbie set up cannot have a trickle tower because the drains need to be submerged to help the siphons start and purge the air.

The drains are 2 perfectly straight 1" pvc pipes with no elbows or threaded fittings. All slip joints including the bulkheads. Again this is for flowrates and siphon stability. Aside from the gate valve there is no real "plumbing" to speak of in the general sense of the word.

My solution is a chamber on top of the drawer system that holds the better part of a gallon of water. Its going to have a small weir style baffle in the chamber to hold the water. It will spill over to a drip tray IE an acrylic plate drilled with holes. This will difuse it and minimize noise.uploadfromtaptalk1408246262210.jpg

Next it will fall into a tray of poly batting pad

Drawer 2 is poly fill floss

Drawer 3 is a wet dry media such as bioballs.

Finally under the waterline will be potscrubs or biomax. Maybe even cut up sponge blocks left over from my dearly departed Ac110.

I chose the 40b because its a boss tank, plus my old man used to have 17 of them running in the basement wheni was a kid. He's still got half a dozen in the garage. I wanted a large water volume most of all.

In the no man's land area of the dead of the sump I have 4 sponge filters and 3 box filters full of biomax and floss. These bad guys will help with polishing water and providing me a means of powering other projects when I need them. Hey they run off 5-10 watts and a single pump dont be hating. I will also house my heaters and my juvenile cichlids / fry. Im constructing a series of baskets or "breeder boxes" out of thay white nylon mesh from the arts and crafts section. It will allow me to segregate fry based on size/age also house expecting mothers with a mouthful of babies before they become lunch in the tank.

Im cultivating a tray of pothos across the span of the back of the tank.

Finally at the far end of the tank is the venerable magdrive 9.5 with a bypass installled in the return, because thats what cool kids do.

If none of this makes sense thats alright, sit tight for pictures! Thankyou for your interest

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Basically I work in a factory. A cheese factory, in Wisconsin, imagine that. I have all the time in the world to let my mind wander. Every facet of this unorthodox set up has been meticulously dwelled upon.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Basically I work in a factory. A cheese factory, in Wisconsin, imagine that. I have all the time in the world to let my mind wander. Every facet of this unorthodox set up has been meticulously dwelled upon.

very nice... as always think it though is the best way around it..

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
This thread is essentially just a time lapse of me making my basement extremely dirty lol

uploadfromtaptalk1408335220495.jpg
Really excited. Finally got it in the house and sitting on the stand.

Im having some minor fitment issues, the footprint of my AGA 90g from 2014 is slightly larger than my AGA 75g from 1994.
uploadfromtaptalk1408335268519.jpg
notice the 3/8 glass vs 1/4. The footprint is about 1/2 inch bigger in all directions. The bottom frame is much thicker uploadfromtaptalk1408335442984.jpg
A really tight fit.

Im going to have to make a few minor modifications to the surface of the stand, nothing major.

The glass lids from my 75g don't fit the 90g, the cross member is much larger.

Im considering making a hood... If I paint it with mildew resistant paint and install a computer fan or something in there will it mold?

:edit: I based all my measurements on the stand on my 75g. I assumed thr footprints were identical and built the stand to fit the 75g very tightly

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
As long as you have sufficient ventilation you shouldn't have any mold or mildew issues.

Nice looking tank! I got my plumbing done this weekend and some water into the tank. Getting the herbie dialed in correctly using a ball valve on the drain is a huge pain in the butt. I think I actually need to rework my drains and returns a bit. I made my siphon too low in the overflow so I get a lot of splashing noise. The valve is difficult to turn so so it is hard to get dialed in exactly to keep the overflow level even. I think my sump is also a bit too small. Between the water from the over flow and the siphon that the return hose creates when the power is shut off my 20 long fills up right to the rim. Which means I have to keep the water level pretty low in the sump which also means my pump starts sucking air very quickly.

So some tips from my experiences this weekend. Siphon needs to be pretty tall to reduce splashing, good call about the gate vale, especially on the overflow and have your return pretty high in the tank. I'm using a 1" return a couple inches below the surface, it is amazing how much water it will drain in just a few seconds.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I fiddled with mine a bit more last night, I learned after making an adjustment to the valve you need to be patient. The water in the overflow with move around a bit for a couple of minutes, you have to give it some time to balance out. Once I realized that using the ball valve was a bit easier. I do think you are probably right with the gate though.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks for the tip. If your still having trouble - this is an excellent resource.http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ check it out if you haven't.

The 20 long may be a bit small, but once you have it dialed in it shouldn't be a problem. I have a 10g sump on a 40tall it works well, but isnt so forgiving.

I went with the 40b sump just to be safe. I plan on only keeping it 2/3 or 3/4 full - probably In the realm of 30 gallons. I don't think the wife would let me hear the end of it if I flooded the living room. Who knows, once I get everything ironed out ill run it with more water... which is another reason I didnt do baffles.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
So circumvented my problem with my stand being to small on top. Basically the largest piece of 3/4 plywood I could find was 4ftx2ft. I made the top an even 48x18 so I had an 1/8" overlap around the perimeter of the stand.

uploadfromtaptalk1408543708904.jpg
Jb kwikwood is amazing it cures in a half hour to 900psi and bonds miraculously well to wood.
uploadfromtaptalk1408543866719.jpg
I filled the gaps where the plywood top ended.

uploadfromtaptalk1408546497229.jpg
I made a square out of pine 1x4's. Thats 3/4"x3.5" if you wanna split hairs.

Really convenient that the work bench I made is the same height as thr stand and sits on 4 locking casters. Makes puttimg the tank on and off the stand an easy 1 man job

uploadfromtaptalk1408543886862.jpg
I actually made a thin "patty" of jb kwik wood and rolled it out less than 1/8" thick and put it underneath the frame all the way around. I filled the tank as high as I could with out spilling into the megaflow (which was about 25 gallons) and I let it sit overnight. It filled all the minor imperfections and self leveled. I couldn't stick a feeler guage or a sheet of paper or anything under the rim. Its 100% level.

Its totally excessive but I can sleep at night now. The piece of mind is worth it. Experienced atand builders wont have to deal with this sort of thing. But I got a custom stand for less than one would cost at the store and its better built. Im happy

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
My issue is that I dont have the space under the stand for a bigger sump. I would love one, but it would have to be custom made. Being a cube I only have about 29" of space inside the stand. As it is my 20 long hangs out the back several inches. At half full my pump is very close to sucking in air. If I fill it more when I cut the power the water from the overflow and the return bring the sump level right up to the rim. Any more water and I'll have it on my floor. To be honest I'm thinking I'm going to add an auto top off so it keeps the water level where it needs to be at. Not a perfect solution but it should work.

That is a good link, however it would lead one to believe that water in the emergency tube is acceptable. Not something you want to have happening. Otherwise it is pretty good.

I am envious of your wood working skills, that stand is looking great.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Trust me they arent that great. If they were I wouldn't be using jb weld lol.

Have you considered using a rubbermaid tote with similar dimensions of the 20L but more height to keep the pump from vortexing air from the surface

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store