Unknown Cichlid - Suspect vieja fenestratus

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yea, those 3 vertical lines would indicate Fenestratus I think.

Fishenthusiast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2014
Florida
I'm new to MFK and I don't know how to make my own thread so I'll just ask my question on this thread if that's okay. So I've had a red devil for about half a year and ever since I got him/her it's had vertical bars on it and I'm confused because I'm pretty familiar with Red Devils. Can someone help me on this plz. I need to know if it's just its coloration or wild caught idk..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
V. fenestratus. The red head (not in juveniles), vertical bars, and dark patch on the "shoulder" above the gills are good indicators.

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
I'm new to MFK and I don't know how to make my own thread so I'll just ask my question on this thread if that's okay. So I've had a red devil for about half a year and ever since I got him/her it's had vertical bars on it and I'm confused because I'm pretty familiar with Red Devils. Can someone help me on this plz. I need to know if it's just its coloration or wild caught idk..
To start a new thread go to the top of page and click on the "+ Post New Thread" button.

....never mind, I see you figured it out in a new thread.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The vertical bars suggest that it is fenestratus. But the golden color on the body suggests that it is synspillum. Normal color Fenestratus has bluish body and this is why it also called blue fenestratus to distinguish it from the pink and piebald form of fenestrtus. It looks like a cross between fenestratus and synspillum.

lyc

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Singapore
www.facebook.com
The vertical bars suggest that it is fenestratus. But the golden color on the body suggests that it is synspillum. Normal color Fenestratus has bluish body and this is why it also called blue fenestratus to distinguish it from the pink and piebald form of fenestrtus. It looks like a cross between fenestratus and synspillum.
Thank you for the input. I think the gold might be due to light reflection. Most of the time the body is greenish blue. Nevertheless, the color is really stunning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store