Severum, Rotkiel, red shoulder, red head any difference?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I found a LFS about 30 min from me. Really cool place its kind of small but everything they have is top notch unique stuff that I typically only find online. I have been looking for some red spotted severums and went to this store to see if they had any. They didn't but they had other severums they had red neck, orange shoulder, and red head as well as the common green and gold. They are all juveniles will large price differences. When I did some research on them they all look pretty much the same and all look like what i had known as Rotkiel.

Are these different fish or same fish different names? I would love it if someone could clear this up everything I have read seems to be confusing. I like the ones I see with the blue faces if I knew which one that is I would pic them up. Unfortunately the person manning the register didn't have much info.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They are all names for the same fish, Heros sp. rotkeil. When in doubt, count their bars: all rotkeils (if pure) have eight bars, while greens have nine.

There are varying degrees of coverage and intensity of the red color. I've had some that barely show any red while others glow. The problem is that they don't really start to color up until 3 - 4" so it's hard to say how they'll end up unless you grow them out.

The females usually show the blue faces because they lack facial markings. Males have it too but it's usually covered with red striations/spots.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
That helps allot thanks.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Red head has also refered to a nicely colored form of greens from Eastern Brazil. but as Ryan said counting the bars should help determine if it is a true green redhead, or some wholeseller making up new names for Rotties.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store