Apurensis Catfish Not Eating

ericmagnus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
Manila, Philippines
So it appears to be related to the pleco introduction?

If yes, new fish can bring in new bacterial, viral, and parasitic cultures. Perhaps it is being affected by something like that and is "under the weather" and working out an immunity to them.

If pleco bullies it, then this alone can be the reason.

It may also be that its diet is imbalanced, lacking something, a needed vitamin or mineral or is high in thiaminase.
I bet it's Pleco related now I have heard more info. My Wallago attu Catfish's regurgitation is stress related 100% of the time. It is one of the greediest,most aggressive feeders that I have ever owned. Every single time it regurgitates its food it has been spooked or has been the object of some type of interaction (good,bad,or neutral) with the other fish it is housed with. In my opinion, it's a fight or flight response. Having an empty stomach lessens the load, whether to get away from predation or to stand up for itself and fight for the territory in question. Snakes have the same behavior somewhat. I think your Pleco is a badass and has your other catfish wary and somewhat afraid of the unknown aggressive capabilities of his new tankmate. If I really liked my apur cat, like youseem to, I'd move the scum sucker Pleco to a different location. I bet dollars to dimes that's the problem. My humble opinion sir. Thanks.
Thanks guys. Those are very strong and valid points, and i totally agree. The watermelon panaque must be stressing the apurensis out. Especially when it encroaches on the apu's territory when foraging for food at night. I even tried adding a lot of driftwood on one side of the tank to keep the pleco there, but the apurensis still doesnt like him it seems. Ive seen the apurensis go out of his way to move the driftwood around to expose the pleco so he could harrass it. Could it be possible even though the apurensis was the aggressor, he still gets stressed and wont eat? Unless the pleco was harrassing him too when nobody's watching. Btw, I moved the panaque last night to another tank now. Beavis, the apurensis is alone again in the 75.....with a bunch of feeder loaches. I hope he gets his appetite back.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd try adding wood anyway and see if it helps, plecos(especially panaques) react to wood like magnets I've found :). When I transfers my Gibbiceps to my 75 which has much bigger driftwood than his previous tank he literally was not seen off of it once for about a week after being added, he was chewing on it all day long!

ericmagnus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I'd try adding wood anyway and see if it helps, plecos(especially panaques) react to wood like magnets I've found :). When I transfers my Gibbiceps to my 75 which has much bigger driftwood than his previous tank he literally was not seen off of it once for about a week after being added, he was chewing on it all day long!
Yep, the tank i moved my pleco in has lots of huge driftwood hehe he'll be find there i guess. Will finally have time to heal his tattered fins from his battles with the apurensis

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

ericmagnus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
Manila, Philippines
So what's the working hypothesis? The pleco to blame?
Im not really sure. Since it was him who beat the pleco up. But im leaning towards that. Maybe he hated the pleco so much that he lost all interest in eating and would rather bully the pleco in his spare time. I guess he's claimed the entire tank as his own. The pleco's fine now too btw, moved him in with my little L190 and irwini in a tank of their own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store