Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
A nurse who arrived in New Jersey today was placed in quarantine and now she has developed a fever.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20141024_ap_45aa1936426c4309ad73c1cb9fa303f7.html
Hello; it seems that the national authorities are still not willing to take these more aggressive quarantine measures but the state and local authorities are.

I understand there will be criticism about this being an overreaction.

I also understand that some medical workers who are willing to face the risks of traveling to treat the infected in Africa may also not be willing to face a three week quarantine. Very interesting. Willing to risk their lives but not to give up the time? I see the point of view in terms of their being able to travel freely as much more convenient and practical for the shifts of health care workers over the coming months, and it will be months. I do not entirely agree with the free travel point of view. I understand the need to act on the slim, and possibly only, chance to contain the virus in Africa with an army of health care workers in country. I am not convinced that the various authorities here, national and local, are yet up to the task of safely dealing with those that return infected. We have indeed been lucky that the virus is not so easy to transmit in face of the many reported errors. I am currently on the side of the mandatory three week quarantine. A quicker screening test or procedure would help to change my tune.

Outside of Mr. Duncan and the two nurses he infected, so far, I think all of the people actually having been present in the USA while infected are these medical workers back from Africa. The nurse in NJ is not known to me confirmed to be infected at this writing.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I think it is great that they are doing humanitarian work in West Africa, but I don't think it's a good thing that returning health care workers could be bringing Ebola back with them. Kudos to New York and New Jersey for implementing a 21 day quarantine for these health workers. Here's an article by the nurse who flew in yesterday and was quarantined and then taken to the hospital with a fever. By her account, she was harassed and badgered and not treated very well. As far as I'm concerned, her "poor treatment" is for the greater good of the general public. The US does not need people bringing Ebola and spreading it around.

http://www.dallasnews.com/ebola/hea...rsey-hospital-as-part-of-ebola-quarantine.ece

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
My advice to her if she wants to consider herself a hero, STAY THERE! she thought she's be treated like a war veteran? People are paranoid and scared here, they dont wanna end up like "that poor girl who died away from her family alone in a tent. Telling that heart felt story totally helped your cause

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
She could have flown into Atlanta, Chicago or DC and avoided the quarantine. I'm sure tax dollars are paying for all the quarantines, and self monitoring kits and all the personnel involved dealing with all the incoming potential Ebolaites.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Went to a costume party today and someone was dressed up as 'Death/Grim Reaper' and had a sign saying Ebola hanging from their neck.

I joked with them and said, "Too Soon".

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store