FLOWER RAY KEEPERS----Flower ray issues (recently)

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
A seasonal change could only effect them if their was something changed by the season in the water? Like runoff.This is exactly why I drip ro in all my tanks. My water supply is not perfectly stable either. But dripping 60/40 ro/tap does keep it very stable regardless of what's going on in my city's water supply. Ph swings daily here sometimes ,and the conductivity or Tds changes almost daily

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
Sorry to hear this!

My female flower has not had any issues to date (had her for almost 2 months but she has been in captivity for much longer). I would say the last couple weeks she might be a little more aggressive then before but not bad. She is only about 11" disc though, is in with a couple marbleds who are smaller then her.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Sorry to hear this!

My female flower has not had any issues to date (had her for almost 2 months but she has been in captivity for much longer). I would say the last couple weeks she might be a little more aggressive then before but not bad. She is only about 11" disc though, is in with a couple marbleds who are smaller then her.
Take it from me, i would ONLY keep a flower in a Flower only tank. I have heard this before i got mine and thought mine was exception. i had mine in with hystrix when the first problem arose a year ago. I had mine in with blacks this year. i think MAYBE they are all just too active for flowers. Even though he did so well with them for the past year, and seemed to get better looking and put on lots of weight. i think all it took was one day of my blacks topping him to stress him out.

Maybe I missed it, do you run your drip water through carbon filters or is it well water? If carbon, did you let it go longer than normal...or possibly bad batch of filters?? Flowers are so doggone sensitive!
I have well water.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
sorry to hear

i don't think todd has ever had any problems with his flower... we have rely good water here though. maybe he will chime in.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I just talked to my buddy that lost a batch of leo pups. He also has well water.

He had someone come out and test the water. He had very high iron. He said something about changing his iron filter

Hope this helps

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I just talked to my buddy that lost a batch of leo pups. He also has well water.

He had someone come out and test the water. He had very high iron. He said something about changing his iron filter

Hope this helps
Thanks
I thought about getting my water tested, but not sure what to look for. I know the water place will want to sell you something

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
Never used well water but freinds who I know that do (they do not keep rays but breed cichlids) say it can vary greatly seasonally. I would suspect high iron (or most other heavy metals) would adversely effect rays since they are so sensitve to copper.

When I saw / talked to Todd a month or so ago (maybe a little longer) his flower was doing great and has never had any issues with him. He is pushing I guess like 17" these days and in with his black rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store