How to pellet-train oscars

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I have three oscars .they only eat market shrimp and fish and live food.I want to make them eat pellets .One of them sometimes eats pellets but the others dont.What to do?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
STarve the Oscars for a week...........Then throw in a half handful of pellets into the tank............They will greedily eat it.........SOme, if the first time, will spit out the pellets.........Once the pellets have entered the mouth though, their taste buds and scent glands will be accelerated to accept the food.........

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Wow... this is a unique problem! My whole experience with Oscars have always been:

1. Add Oscar to water.

2. Add pellets to water.

The end.

-Rich

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I have starved the 8 inch oscars for three days but no luck. So i stuck with shrimps and fishes

You can starve those 8" size oscars for 2 weeks without any issues. Feed each a very small piece of market shrimp on the 15th day, and then continue the next 14 days only offering pellets. Repeat until they only take pellets.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
I have starved the 8 inch oscars for three days but no luck. So i stuck with shrimps and fishes

I treat my fish like I do my kids. Eat what's available or don't eat at all. It doesn't take long til they are truly hungry and we'll eat what they're prepared.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I treat my fish like I do my kids. Eat what's available or don't eat at all. It doesn't take long til they are truly hungry and we'll eat what they're prepared.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
lol

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I have a hard time getting my Oscar to not eat anything that touches the water.
its not common though. ive seen way more oscars shot out of the water over the idea of food than any other fish. theyre usually willing to eat anything all the time lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store