Hospital ray

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
So I posted previously with an injured Leo x bd that I had in a plastic box inside the tank measuring 1 for by 1 foot by 6 inches high. The ray is only 5 inches but I wasn't happy with his lack of space so I've gone out today and got him a 3 by 1.5 by15 inches high. He's got a sponge filter in there which is using sponges which have been in the sump for over a year now. And obviously a heater, no light.

Blatantly this is better for him space wise however I'm concerned as to how often I should be checking the water quality. I'm in the house all day for the next 5 days and plan on at least 2-3 water changes a day to help his bites recover. Do you guys think I will need to get up half way through the night to do a water change due to the sponge filter? Thanks

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
And here's why he's in there in the 1st place. I had one with my Motoro before and it was fine until I moved house and my return pump to my sump failed when I re set up the tank. Costing them all and extra 2 hours in a water butt:irked: I really didn't realise how much the motoro had grown and now he doesn't seem to like smaller rays. I get my new tank (7x4x2.5) 2 weeks yesterday so he can go into the 180 gal once the motoro is in the new one.

image.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
40 gallon breeder is just fine for a ray that size. Have you thought about a floating tub to put in your main tank? If water quality is the issue my not just work off that same water. Or male a stand drill that little tank for an over low and small pump feeding it water.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
40 gallon breeder is just fine for a ray that size. Have you thought about a floating tub to put in your main tank? If water quality is the issue my not just work off that same water. Or male a stand drill that little tank for an over low and small pump feeding it water.

he was in a floating tub but I was concerned about the lack of space for him. He was always trying to get out. Is there anything I can do to make him heal faster?

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
If you are using a sponge filter that has good bacteria already on it, you should be fine (as long as you did not wash it in chlorine water and kill the good bacteria). Be sure the heater is covered. A little salt would help with healing. As long as you are not overfeeding and removing uneaten food, everything should be fine. Might check the parameters a couple times a day just to be safe.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
You will only know how much water to change by testing to be exact. But probably 10 Gallons a day would do well. Do you have any other mechanical filtration for that setup. Even a hang on back

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Aquarium salt like you buy in the fish area. Pure salt- Like you put in a water softener. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Still the overall worry in the back of my head is that this sponge filter is not made for filtering and taking care of a stingray. My best advice is go get a storage container and drill it with holes and have it bigger. Mine I use is 36x18 bottom and lots of room. uploadfromtaptalk1406130072746.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store