How to catch big rays

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So i see a lot of pics on here of people who have caught their smaller rays in plastic containers of various sizes. But how do you catch a larger ray, say over 16". Do you use a net or container. I have only ever seen a larger ray netted once and it made one hell of a mess, water everywhere! I would be freaked out catching a ray in a container full of water then trying to lift the container with water and ray in out of the tank. Do you not get worried the ray would either slip out the container or try to sting you? Or do you just use a net and clean up the water afterwards. There must be a easy way of catching rays as i see so many pics of people moving them from one place to another. Would like to know the best method in case i ever need to do it.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Rubber fish net from the outdoor shops like the bass pro shop or something similar in your area. Moved a few rays and 16" ones too and no problem and very little water splashing as the net has big holes. You can get them various sizes and depths.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks mate. That's a good start. What about containers, do you ever use them for smaller rays or to save stress on medium size rays?
I am also concerned about how to get a divider in the tank and make sure one out of five rays gets to the correct side of the divider without having to catch it! I have a made a one piece divider and i feel it is going to be hard work trying to get the one ray to one side and the other four the other. My last divider was a 3 piece that was handy as i could almost use it like a trap door and close the divider up once the ray passed through the door. But this divider did not go the complete width of the tank. I can see it being hard work trying to seperate the rays, half the reason why i am asking the question.

Rubber fish net from the outdoor shops like the bass pro shop or something similar in your area. Moved a few rays and 16" ones too and no problem and very little water splashing as the net has big holes. You can get them various sizes and depths.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Never found any of my rays being stressed moving them from one tank to another but all my tanks are in the basement so it's not to far to go. I scoop and drop into the tank it is going. I have recently only moved the males depending on which tanks I want them in to breed with certain females. I haven't had to use any dividers yet but then again all my rays are about the same size and all get along so I just scoop pups and put them in the floating bins until they are pellet trained and then they go in the 150 gallon growout until I sell them.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Sounds like you have the ideal set up with more than one tank. Until i can start producing pups i will never convince the wife that another tank is the way forward. For now i have to deal with what i have, one tank a divider and a section in the sump i designed into the set up to hold pups. I have concerns about moving big rays in containers verses nets due to the fact they could either freak and slip out or try to sting.
Never found any of my rays being stressed moving them from one tank to another but all my tanks are in the basement so it's not to far to go. I scoop and drop into the tank it is going. I have recently only moved the males depending on which tanks I want them in to breed with certain females. I haven't had to use any dividers yet but then again all my rays are about the same size and all get along so I just scoop pups and put them in the floating bins until they are pellet trained and then they go in the 150 gallon growout until I sell them.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I use big rubber nets and everything gets absolutely soaked

I tried using a bin for a large ray before and it was very scary, i thought forsure i was getting stung

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Trev. Yes that what i was thinking! I am thinking about a container and lid. Drill some holes around the top of the side walls of the container so water can reduce to the desired level with out exposing the ray to air, then put the lid on as i remove the container from the tank. What do you think?
I use big rubber nets and everything gets absolutely soaked

I tried using a bin for a large ray before and it was very scary, i thought forsure i was getting stung

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
No need for a container on adults. Net and move. Most of mine dont put up a fight...most of em.

I dont use a rubber net (cost saving on my part) but I did use a zip tie on the bottom portion of the net so when I scoop them out they are relatively flat.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I'd definitely go with the rubber net. Nothing worse than trying to untangle a barb from a net with an adult ray thrashing around! Barbs don't get stuck in rubber nets.

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
landing nets are the fastest and safest nets imo. expensive maybe.. but what part of the hobby is cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store