Gold Nugget questions

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I am thinking of getting a Gold Nugget Pleco. I have wanted one for some times. I currently have a 75 gallon with 5 Hondruan Red Points, 2 Firemouths, 1 small electric yellow lab, and a bulldog pleco. I rarely get to see the bulldog pleco cause it is always hiding. What is the temperament of the Gold Nugget are they always hiding or will I get to see them. I have a few hiding places if it does want to hide but I have allot of open space to. I just don't want to spend $40 on a fish I will never see.

second questions. The LFS has 3 Gold Nugget Plecos 2 with narrow yellow bands on the fin and tail, and 1 with wide yellow bands. Is this a different in species, or sex, or any specific, or just difference in appearance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Really hard to keep when small I am a huge pleco keeper and can not keep one alive so good luck
oooh not what I wanted to hear but glad you told me.

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
I have had mine since it was just over an inch ... Favorite fish in the tank... You don't see them very often maybe about once every couple of weeks, but when you do it is awesome this is a older pick of him

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406050882.081853.jpg

StefanI

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2014
ontario
I love my gold nugget. Hes 50/50 on how much I see him vs. how much he hides. I had him imported and never had a problem eats like a pig. I like him so much im considering brining another 4 - 5 in.
uploadfromtaptalk1406069036328.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I727R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
They aren't really any harder that any other hypancistrus. Good water quality, good food, etc.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Water quality is important, I have heard more people killing these plecos than any other plecos.
I had 2 die in the pass and gave up for awhile on them, than one day I bought a L177 gold seam nugget
I was expecting it to kick the bucket like the other. It surprisingly did great, it started to eat and pick up weight it was very active when feeding time. Nugget are very nice pleco when out swimming around. Before buying ask how long it been in the shop and can they throw some food in the tank if it show any sign of interest it good to go.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
I've had my L177 for 2yrs now and is doing great. I've had a few in the past and they all perished but that was when i was new to plecos about 10yrs ago.. Get them big as possible. There's 2 kinds, L18 and L177. The L177 has bigger spots, the one i prefer. I also like the wider band yellow but that will get thinner as they grow. Keep good water quality, lots of oxygen, and keep them well fed.

GaCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
Georgia
I wanna get me one but I'm worried that it would be ate quickly. I've been looking for a larger one that would work

Cueball703

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2013
NY
I've got a 75 gallon tank, and now have 6 plecos in it. When I first got my tank, I had bought 3 plecos... A Leopard Sailfin Pleco (about 3 inches), a Rubbernose Pleco (also about 3 inches) and a Green Phantom Pleco (about 2 inches). I bought a variety of other fish as well. Apparently, it was too soon for me to put fish in that tank, as the water went threw a 2nd cycle where most of my fish died. The Rubbernose and Green Phantom died (along with most of the other fish). I thought the tank was ready, and so did the LFS (I had brought a sample of the water to my LFS after 1 week, and he agreed that I was ready to populate the tank at that time). Well, I had to let the water continue to cycle and see if the remaining fish would survive. At that point, I had the Leopard Sailfin Pleco, 3 Angel Fish, and 4 Fancy Guppies. They survived, and after letting another 4 weeks go by, my tank water was remaining stabilized. I bought more fish at that point.

I had added more Plecos immediately. I got a Golden Nugget Pleco (about 2 inches), a Green Phantom Pleco (about 2 inches), and a King Tiger Pleco (about 1 inch). The GN and GP have grown about 1 inch in the past year, and the LSF has grown to about 9 inches now. Last Summer, I had added an additional Pleco to the community... a Blue Panaque (about 2 inches). He's still around too.

My latest addition was 5 weeks ago... A Zebra Pleco (L46). I got him through Aquabid at a cost of $148 (Overnight Shipping included in that price). I couldn't believe how tiny he was (about 1/4 of an inch). Since I don't have a 2nd tank, I had to place him in the large tank with everyone else. For the first day, I had him in isolation... I have one of those little Net Enclosures (made out of a mesh net in a box shape) for babies that I put him in. I wanted to make sure he survived the 1st day after the trama of being shipped and then placed in a tank where the water compounds were different (the Seller said that he only kept the pleco in regular untreated tap water). Well, after 1 day, I decided that I can't keep the new baby in isolation like that indefinitely.. It's gonna take a long time for him to grow (and he only grows to a max of 3 inches), so I let him loose in the tank. It's been 5 weeks now, and he's definitely a survivor. I see him in his little hiding spot, and he's right by my Green Phantom (and sometimes my King Tiger plecos). Nobody has bothered him. When I clean my tank (once a week), I take him out of the tank (and put him in a small glass filled with the tank water), so that he doesn't get extra stressed with all the commotion of me siphoning out the old (dirty water) and refilling the tank with fresh water. Once the tank is refilled, I put him back in, and he swims back to his hiding spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store