Need guide lines for future ID!

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Hello guys.

I'm a big advocate on the smallest fish possible in the biggest tank possible. My tank's is 7ftx3ft so the only stingray I would consider housing in the tank is a true Hystrix.
I've been researching this forum and I've come across several threads regarding the same issue: people with untrained eyes buying "not so true" Potamotrygon Hystrix as the real deal.

The suppliers are german so I can't know if it is really an Hystrix based on provinence.

So I'm ask for help: could you tell me some unmistakable characteristics of the true P. Hystrix? Only seen photos..

Thanks in advance.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Pictures can speak a thousand words. Can you get pictures from your suppliers? Often the "hystrix" that are sold are orbignyi or similar rays and their patterns will have circular spots. The Brazilian hystrix will have circular spots around the disk perimeter, but closer to the center of the ray the spots are oblong shaped. Location of where the rays were caught (if wild caught) can also help with id.

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Pictures can speak a thousand words. Can you get pictures from your suppliers? Often the "hystrix" that are sold are orbignyi or similar rays and their patterns will have circular spots. The Brazilian hystrix will have circular spots around the disk perimeter, but closer to the center of the ray the spots are oblong shaped. Location of where the rays were caught (if wild caught) can also help with id.
Thank you spotfin.

I'm not sure this is going to be accurate. I've had my fair share of "promises" in this hobby that just weren't delivered. Just to show you my problem is real, I've asked for a male since they get smaller and the Lfs owner said he will order a male but if it turns out to be a female he'll wash his hands. I understand his point of vue but just puts me in a tight spot.. Very useful tip!!

( fingers crossed )

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
You say the suppliers are German. If it is Aquarium Glaser then it will almost definitely be Potomotrygon sp Hystrix from Brazil. My wild caught male came via them. They know their fish id better than anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Not always sam. Ordered a mastacembelus armatus once and got macrognathus sp...
But yes, Glaser do have true Hystrix, one of few importers worldwide.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Are many hystrix being imported anymore? I haven't seen any wild hystrix here for a long time.

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Thank you all. It's indeed Aquarium glaser. I'm more reassured now. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store