Feeder Fish

jredner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Michigan
I know that many of you don't feed your piranhas live fish, and that goldfish and fathead minnows are bad, but if you were to feed live fish, what would be good options?

jredner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Michigan
I was going to start breeding guppies and feed the uglies to my p's but if everybody feels that this is a huge mistake then I will pull the plug.

jredner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Michigan
Yeah, guppies wouldn't be a staple in their diet. I've got them on pellets, frozen shrimp and blood worms.

_Sushi_

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
South East Michigan
I was thinking about feeders the other day, and while I'm not a big fan of feeding live feeders, I could see the benefits of doing so, IF DONE PROPERLY.

Such as, breeding your own feeders and raising them on a healthy diet.

Making sure your feeder rearing tanks are disease free.

Using leaner fish types, like catfish or tetras.

Don't forget, less is more!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The benefits of occasional feeding of live prey would be to keep them from getting too bored, offering variety, and keeping their natural hunting instincts intact, they make a much more interesting display when they "hunt" their food, and pellets don't quite do it.

To encourage hunting freeze-dried baby shrimp sprinkled into the powerhead or current from a HOB filter can be used with success if you still don't prefer feeders (like myself)

Tango374

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
MI
I've heard of people setting up a convict breeding tank for feeders and also platies and mollies.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Tango374;1313758; said:
I've heard of people setting up a convict breeding tank for feeders and also platies and mollies.
YEs! I do that. Breed convict and grow them up...disease free. Convict are best if you talking about live.

jredner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Michigan
how big of a tank would you need for convict breeding?

Tango374

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
MI
I'd go with live bearers like platies or mollies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store