True P. Yepezi

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
Ive seen the video on youtube. Very cool!! I hope he gets back to you about importing them. As Thats the only time ive seen a ray like that. goodluck

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I have been doing research on these rays, and the Maracaibo bay in Venezuela is fascinating..

Although they call it Maracaibo Lake, it is actually an inland bay attached to the ocean.. the mouth of the bay is very small, and very little saltwater enters the bay.. The lake has waves however, caused from the magnetic pull that the nearby ocean creates (or something like that).. they say it is one of the only 'lakes' in the world with a tidal current.

They say the true Yepezi is collected out of a number of river tributaries that flow into the lake, and records of P. yepezi being caught within the lake (salinity) as well..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
AquataHolic420;1335341; said:
I like the 2nd one. but i want to learn more on the true yepezi.
We all do.. we all do.. :nilly:

Would be neat to import a M/F pair and breed them :D

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
Not often seen... at least I've never seen a live one!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Lake Maracaibo is an amazing body of water to work from. I worked with a pair of manatees that were caught in fishing nets by accident in that inlet. Also delt with a lot of rays pulled from that and it's tributaries awhile back.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Matt..

What other ray species did you deserve in the tributaries leading to Lake Marcaibo?

I found a real neat Aequidens sp. that is only harvest in that Lake, but it's not available in the hobby.. puts the Silver Saum to shame, stays smaller, and acts more like an acara..

I want to import from Venezuela!! This is also where the Colomesus Psittacus pufferfish is found (banded puffer).. I really want one of them bad.

Itaituba2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2004
The Netherlands
The first picture shows the treu Yepezi not an particular beatifull ray in my opinion only have seen them live ones.
Regards
FRank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store