Convict Breeding Suggestions

94redvwjetta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2006
catasauqua PA
Ok so I know this is going to make me sound real bad but I am having trouble getting my two convicts to breed. I had a Pink Male convict and a Female Black convict in a 55 they were the only two in there. They bred once and alot of the fry survived for a while. I didnt do anything special with them I just let them go in there. Then for some odd reason one day the male killed the female. So I moved him to the 180 I have. I eventually bought another female and put her in the 180. They bred in there twice but since there were other fish in there, there fry eventually got eaten. Well to my mom and g/f that was mean that I let the "babies" get eaten. So I moved the convict's into a 29 gallon tank that I had laying around. There the only two in there and have been in there like two months now and wont breed. The water quality all comes up in the safe zone when tested the temp is about 82. Does anyone have any suggestion or could it just be the 29 is too small for them? THe female is only about 2 1/2-3 inches and the Male is about 3-3 1/2 inches

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
29 is most certainly not TOO SMALL for a convict to breed in. Convicts bred in my Gf's 10G tank. Or used to when that tank was running.

Try adding lots of rocks, caves, substrate, and other decor, and the cons should have babies in days. Once you have eggs it takes about 3 days until they turn into "lil wigglers", after about a week or so they will be able to swim and eat, try and scoop them out in a net, when they are FREE Swimming, and put them in a "Net breeder" or somehting along those lines. FEED em well, and ur good. Good luck.

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
AquataHolic420;1339483; said:
29 is most certainly not TOO SMALL for a convict to breed in. Convicts bred in my Gf's 10G tank. Or used to when that tank was running.

Try adding lots of rocks, caves, substrate, and other decor, and the cons should have babies in days. Once you have eggs it takes about 3 days until they turn into "lil wigglers", after about a week or so they will be able to swim and eat, try and scoop them out in a net, when they are FREE Swimming, and put them in a "Net breeder" or somehting along those lines. FEED em well, and ur good. Good luck.
Oh my god I knew it was possible to breed convicts in a 10g!!!! Please, tell me how your gf breeds convicts in a 10g. I have a male in the 10g, but he always kills the female...it's making me very upset. Tips please?

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
Take the male out, put the female in for a couple days so she can get used to the surroundings and establish a "territory", then add the male. Your chances for breeding go WAY up.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
fishlvr;1339904; said:
Take the male out, put the female in for a couple days so she can get used to the surroundings and establish a "territory", then add the male. Your chances for breeding go WAY up.
Also make sure you have small convicts... My gf's were around 2 inch male 1 inch female.

she also had some tankmates..which were killed, but the cons didnt kill each other.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Like the others said make sure they have caves and plants to make them feel secure,feed a high protien diet,and do 50% weely waterchanges,if nothing happens in 3 weeks hit them with an extra waterchange 10f colder water that usually triggers a spawn

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely give them more hiding spaces. A 29g is perfect IMO. Good diet. Keep up on the water changes and you're pretty much set.

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
keep them well feed, water changes, etc. what everyone else said. hiding spots are always good, as well as a surface which eggs can easily be laid on.

94redvwjetta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2006
catasauqua PA
Alright guys thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try those things out. I did put the exact Pot that they bred in the 180 in the tank cause I thought it would make them feel more comfortable. But I will add more decor, up the protein, and beef up the water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store