A step-by-step guide on egglaying cichlids

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
This a simple process on how many cichlids go about during thier breeding time and what happens.

Before and during the brooding of the egg process, many fish will flare at you and even attack other fish and hands. Yes cichlids bite the hand that feeds them.

This is a shot of some convict eggs 14 hours after they have been laid. You should notice that they are a light beige colour.

After roughly 3 days from when the eggs have been laid, you will notice a darkening of the eggs aswell as little black dots. These are the eyes.

Newly hatched fry are barely 1/16th of an inch long. This is a convict that hatched only 8 hours before these shots were taken which still has a large yolk sac attached.

After a a couple of months, you wind up with small replicas of the parents.

Hope this gives an insight to first time cichlid breeders or even people wanting to refresh thier memory!

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
and you called this a report, how long did it take you to make? haahha good work.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Good work mystix! Way to contribute to the community in a positive way ....good on you :)

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
aeri;1356010; said:
do pairs breed if there are other fish in the tank?

Depends on the pair, tank mates, tank size, etc....but some yes......

HerCrenVie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Singapore
aeri;1356010; said:
do pairs breed if there are other fish in the tank?
With my Herichthys carpinte pair, I realised that putting fish in with them actually made them spawn. I once added two random cichlids into the tank with the pair and they promptly brutalised the two new fish and spawned within several hours of the introduction of the new fish. They showed no signs of spawning prior to the introduction.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
These convicts are in with angels, clown loaches, tetras, small sharks, a plec, livebearers and even 6 small cons from one of thier spawns that I havent been able to get rid of. There are so many dithers that the convicts just spawn as readily as possible without much hassle.

E-Nyce, it takes 3 days before the eggs are laid to when they hatch. This is an average. Mine have always taken a little shorter then 3 days to hatch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store