abusive male convict

uberunce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
Toronto
i had my pair of cons for 3 months now and on sunday they laid their 3rd batch of eggs. on wednesday they hatched. on thursday morning i see the female hiding behind tubes with some scars on her face. i couldnt find any of the new batch of fry and only a few of last months batch left. i tried to provoke her out of hiding and she did but the male just kept chasing her and flaring his gills. after fear of him destroying her i removed him and put him in the growout with a divider. after the female saw the coast was clear she ate all the 1 month olds.
so my question is when should i put the male back in, and is there going to be any complications with their breeding?

btw i did some remodeling in the tank so when the male is reintroduced itll look different i guess?

evilxyardxgnome

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
twitter.com
Add a bunch of caves to the tank. Different sizes are the key. Small ones that only the female can get into, males do get bored with females and tend to kill their females in tanks when normally in the wild they can just leave and not deal with the female anymore.

uberunce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
Toronto
yea i have about 4 caves. when is a good time to put the male back in?

Spankbelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2008
Alberta Canada
This is an old thread but...
My males usually chase off the female after the eggs hatch.
He takes over protection duties for awhile. After a few days he will relax a bit.
I think this is because she has been guarding the eggs for two or three days and has not really been eating. And he knows she is hungry.
If she is going to get killed pull her out. He'll be fine as a single dad.
When they fry are big enough to wonder (about 2-3 weeks) put them in a grow out and send her back to make more.

Musha

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
Baltimore, MD
He may be ready to breed again and she is not, basically he has aquatic blue balls as I like to call it. He will be cranky for a bit.

Spankbelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2008
Alberta Canada
I'm cranky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store