NITRATE FILTER PROJECT UNDERWAY

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
OK after much looking around i have started my freshwater nitrate filter.

pics show frame work for supporting the tanks up and out of the way. light blue steel is the framework..not complete.

dark blue tanks are 550 gallon each, to hold kaldness k1 bio media. total 4 cubic meters.

projected max flow is 1000 gph. it should have a max capacity to remove 1000 grams of nitrate every 24 hours.

the anoxic bacteria require a bio available carbon source with is traditionally methanol as used in wastewater treatment plants.

there is now a non toxic / green replacement for methanol which i will be using.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

STAND1.jpg

STAND2.jpg

TANKS.jpg

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
That should definatly cut your maintaince down a great deal and add to water quality. it'll probubly pay for itself in "prime" consumption alone.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
Dose this method produce deadly toxic gass like the black tube de-nitifier? concept...

what principal dose this work on???

the method that i am reffering to is tricling the water through about 100 feet of 1/4"-3/8" SINFLEX hose. i think its anarobic bacteria that converts the nitrates to nitrogen gas and methal hydrate? if im not mistgaken and the methalhydrate is what can kill you.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
can't wait to see the finished product... looking forward to it....

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
vanilla__gorilla__;1424091; said:
how is this going to work?

this is a bio filter. it uses a bacteria that lives in anoxic conditions ( very low oxygen) and can "eat" bio available carbon ( eg not charcoal) methanol, ethanol, certain sugars or the micro C G product ( http://www.eosenvironmental.com/product/microc_g.htm ) I will be using. the bacteria also consumes the nitrate releasing nitrogen gas.

with slow flow most of the media will be anoxic and support the bacteria needed to do this.

the carbon solution is fed in continuously at about 3 times the nitrate level. if nitrate is 50 ppm you feed 150ppm of the carbon feed ( micro c g) .

if all goes well the output should be about 10ppm nitrate.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
portabuddy;1424398; said:
Does this method produce deadly toxic gas like the black tube de-nitifier? concept...

what principal dose this work on???

the method that i am referring to is trickling the water through about 100 feet of 1/4"-3/8" SINFLEX hose. i think its anaerobic bacteria that converts the nitrates to nitrogen gas and methal hydrate? if im not mistaken and the methalhydrate is what can kill you.
the one i am aware of using a sulfur eating bacteria and can produce H2S ( hydrogen sulfide) which is very nasty.

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
AH, yes it was hydrogen sulfide, that just jarred my memory, its cheap but deadly if not vented right, and it only produces hydrogen sulfide if you get O2 or light into the system. im thinking of trying it out with a small vent going to the roof

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store