Tikinso Guinea E.E.?

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
New varient showin up on Toyin's stock list - anyone have one? Way too big for me to buy right now but I'm extra interested.

Keeper*

Hapdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Deer Park, WA
I see Toyin lists both a P.endi and a P.lap "tikinso".My guess is that's actually the Tinkisso River of north-eastern Guinea. Not sure if this is a new variant we haven't seen before, or just a re-declaration with location, of something we already have? Toyin? Pics?

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
i'm guessing its the Tinkisso river too. and my thought is the same as hapdude's, i.e. the fact that those two bichirs (that particular endli and the guinea lap) have always been on the list, and the only thing thats added is the river name makes me think its just a redeclaration with the specific river of something he's always had.

anyway i sent him an email asking him a couple questions (including this one). will post when i hear from him.

milokai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2006
island cavite PI
what's up guys, do you know if their any pictures available.

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
Yes but he also lists a regular Guinea Lap and Endli - which I would take to mean that they are separate.

Maybe for once he knows exactly where a few of them come from???

Hapdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Deer Park, WA
Keeper, I suspect your last statement may be the most accurate! Most bichir's have a wide distribution, and when we see a specimen from a different region, there seems to be wide spread confusion as to whether we have a new "species" or simply a "regional variant". Polypterus sp. Koliba is a primary example! Is it a new species or just a variant from the Koliba river that we haven't seen? I think a lot of work needs to be done in this area, from the scientific community,before it will be sorted out. However each time we can get as much information as we can (i.e. location), it certainly helps end that confusion.

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
Keeper of the Ropes;1523731; said:
Yes but he also lists a regular Guinea Lap and Endli - which I would take to mean that they are separate.
actually thats not correct. the regular Guinea lap (without the river name) is no longer listed. And he has always (read: a very long time) listed BOTH Guinea endli as well as sp. aff. endli (which is also imported from Guinea, although he may or may not have put that in quote in the past. anyway i can't quite tell what the differences are between this and the regular)

This was the list BEFORE.

Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri "Guinea"
Polypterus sp.aff. endlicheri
Polypterus bichir lapradei "Guinea"

And NOW the list becomes

Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri "Guinea"
Polypterus sp.aff. endlicheri "Tikinso Guinea"
Polypterus bichir lapradei "Tikinso Guinea"

So nothing's added to the list except the name of the river.

Maybe for once he knows exactly where a few of them come from???
this is what i suspect. He hasn't replied my email yet, but i'll update when he does. i asked him before where the Guinea lapradei comes from, and at the time he didn't know.

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
Hmmmmmmmmm :D Well, whatever the hell it is, it's over in that tank.

*points at a lanky, fat green bichir and smiles*

The silly LFS people put her in a tank with some tetra species... when I got there, I couldn't find ONE. :ROFL:

Keeper*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store