An Authentic Amazon Tank?

stevey11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
Nebraska
I have a 55 gallon tank and was planning on making it into an authentic amazon tank for a shoal of 5-6 piranhas (i know ill pry have to upgrade to a 125 gallon once they start getting bigger). My question is what will i pry all need substrate type, rock type/driftwood, plants, filtration, heater, powerheads, lighting, etc. to make it as authentic as possible. any advice would be helpful.:)

thefishguy7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
I've seen red-clay like substrate that looked absolutely amazing. There were tons of roots and large sword plants in the tank too. It looked great, but maybe you'll want to save the difficult aquascaping for your 15?

stevey11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
Nebraska
so it sounds like a lot of driftwood and roots for sure. is there any particular kind/color of sand/substrate that is unique to the amazon? other than swordtails what other plants are unique to the amazon? thanks for any advice

leviathon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
USA
that all depends on whitewater/ blackwater. blackwater would be the easiest, as with the above mentioned. if you wanted to , you could filter with peat (fluval peat granules work well) it'll soften your water , lower your pH, and give the nice dark "tea" color associated with "black water"

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
yeah fill it with drift wood and amazon swords and it will look great :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store