Some good news and some really bad news

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Ok, this is basically going to become a stocking question at the end, but the whole situation has me really upset. This is going to be long post, but I need to vent.

First, our apartment complex has had plumbing problems from the first day we moved in here. It's been owned and managed by three different companies since then, and they finally just now fixed the pipes. So there's the good news.

The bad news. When we signed our lease with our new landlady, the only stipulations it made on pets was that they must be fish, birds, hamsters, or "other various animals capable of living in an aquarium or cage." No where did it specify a maximum aquarium size, weight, etc.

Currently, in our apartment, we have a 30 gallon bowfront, a ten gallon qt, and a 55 gallon. Our landlady comes with a maintenance guy once a month to inspect the units. They have always been fine with my tanks. Today, the lady even brought her little boy along (who, for some ungodly reason she named Herman) to see my oscar. I let annoying, little Herman hand feed my Oswald some market shrimp.

We were talking about the fish and how big Oswald has gotten since I rescued him in December, and I mentioned that soon I'd be getting him a new 125 gallon home because he was outgrowing my 55. She looked all surprised and was like "Oh no, you can't do that, it's not allowed. No tanks over 75 gallons."

We're on the first floor, on a six inch concrete slab. This is ridiculous, especially since we were never prohibited from having a tank over 75 gallons by our lease. But whatever, I don't feel like getting kicked out over a fish tank. I just wish it would have been in dang lease, otherwise I would have known I couldn't keep my little guys and I wouldn't have gotten attached.

So here's my problem. I have a five and half to six inch Oscar, a four inch albino red-tailed/rainbow shark, two small blood parrots and two medium sized tinfoil barbs. I was pretty close to having a bigger tank for them (found a 125 gallon tank and stand for $150 on cl, was going to call on it today). I know the barbs and the O will outgrow the tank for sure. Is there anything I can keep?:cry:

I was thinking that if I couldn't keep any of it, I could throw in the inhabitants of my 30 gallon community and get a few discus. With the upkeep I do on the tank with the oscar, I know I can handle the discus. But that's only as a last resort, I really love my oscar. If anything, I hope to find him an awesome home, maybe with one of you guys?

53special

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Bensalem Pa
See if you can find a 110. Most regular people wouldn't know what it is, or for that matter, just get the 125. For that price, if it becomes a problem, you will get your money back selling it.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
53special;1572870; said:
See if you can find a 110. Most regular people wouldn't know what it is, or for that matter, just get the 125. For that price, if it becomes a problem, you will get your money back selling it.
That's true, but I want to be prepared for worst case scenario. I don't want to get my hopes up and then find out I still have to get rid of my fish, but I'll start looking around for bigger "small" tanks.

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
dang...well a 75 with a 55 gallon sump could hold your oscar for a very long time, as long as you keep up on maintenance!

It basically a 130 gallon then! swimming space is important but if your a good care giver that is more important (most people cannot care for fish especially large oscars.)

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Fish Eat Fish;1572886; said:
dang...well a 75 with a 55 gallon sump could hold your oscar for a very long time, as long as you keep up on maintenance!

It basically a 130 gallon then! swimming space is important but if your a good care giver that is more important (most people cannot care for fish especially large oscars.)
Well, I do my best for him/ them. I do a pw and gravel vacuum twice a week, do an about 80% change monthly, I feed them Hikari chichlid gold twice a day (with vitamin drops once a day, five days a week), market shrimp, oranges, and zucchini once every three days, and freeze-dried bloodworms or tubifexcubes whenever they beg lol. I really like the other fish too, though, and I can't keep them all in a 75 gallon, even with the 55 sump, that's just not fair to them.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
the terms of your lease cannot be changed at the land lords whim, if it wasn't discussed, implied or in writing when you signed the lease then it isn't so. re-examine your lease and find the section about pets, and get a copy of the civil code to look over. bring this to the attention of your landlord and see if you can convince her to change her mind. if she doesn't then go to plan b

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
If you have room, I think your are just missing the easy solution:

If there are no aquariums over 75 gallons, just get a few more 55 gallons.

Keep your O in your current 55 gallon.
Keep the rainbow shark and the 2 parrots in another 55 gallon.
Keep the two tinfoil barbs in another 55 gallon(Maybe 75).

To keep costs low, just buy two complete 55 gallon set ups from the large chain stores like petsmart. These are each $150. You could diy two stands for $50. You could probably spend $100 and two Emperor 400 to use in conjunction with the cheapo filters that come with these complete set ups.

Then of course you can always buy used:)

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
just saw you are from socal, contact the california department of consumer affairs, they publish a guide to residential tenants and landlords rights and responsibilities, it outlines and explains the civil code. I have a copy I might be able to scan to pdf if you can't get a hold of one

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
IITUFFTOBEATII;1572965; said:
the terms of your lease cannot be changed at the land lords whim, if it wasn't discussed, implied or in writing when you signed the lease then it isn't so. re-examine your lease and find the section about pets, and get a copy of the civil code to look over. bring this to the attention of your landlord and see if you can convince her to change her mind. if she doesn't then go to plan b
I agree...sounds lame if it wasn't in writing. But otherwise go with a 75 like someone else mentioned...your maintenance is great, and we all know oscars are kept in smaller tanks with little to no maint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store