DIY 220g(830L) Tank Stand

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
Got a few days after Xmas so decided I better get the stand built for my MC's new 220g tank :woot:

Here's some pics, they're taken with my mobile phone so excuse the quality!

This pic shows most of the frame completed, its made entirely of 70mmx35mm structural pine and is glued and screwed together. I used some nails to hold bits together before screwing. The pine is cheap and its easy to build up a beefy frame with it!

Another pic of the frame... and another dog :(

Here I have beefed up the support beams and added a cross brace to add some more stability to the tank.

...also the floor is in.

Showing some of frame construction

Some of the paneling and border added. The tank will have to sit out from the wall a little so I have left the panelling extended from the back a little and hope to do something with it to fill the gap once the tank is installed.

The tank will also be in a corner so the border only needs to be on 2 sides.

:headbang2

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
Awesome stand.....I will be building one of these soon and this would be a nice template to go off of.

FunkSkunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Dude! those phone pics are great! I've seen waaaaay worse. Must be nice down in Australia this time of year!~! lucky

o and cool stand, but i would go ahead an finish the entire stand with the paneling. I know right now it will be in a corner but who knows down the road, and its waaaay cheaper to do it right the first time.
just my .02

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
VERY NICE WORK

wanna build me one :)

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
Thanks for the comments guys!

Yes the weather is nice down here at the moment, expecting nearly 40c here in Melbourne today! Maybe a little too hot for working outside :screwy: But being in Melbourne it can be inconsistant, it wouldnt be uncommon for it to be be raining and 20c tomorrow!

Yeah I am putting panelling all the way around, I'm just not running the horizontal border pieces on the side against the wall. ;)

I ran out of the panelling yesterday(which is why there is a gap at the back bottom corner if you look closely!), so will be picking some more up today and hopefully finishing it off!

I'll grab some more pics a bit later and post up. Will also show some of the tank and the sump filter I'm building. :thumbsup:

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
A bit of an update, didnt get as much done today as I'd hoped but here goes...

My old dog "Wolf" modelling the stand with the new doors sitting in place.

A closer look without the dog ;)

The doors I made are pretty basic, I just made a frame from pine and nailed some of the pine panelling into the centre of it. I'll fit the hinges, latch and handles once everything else is done.

Starting to stain the stand, I'm using a very dark brown(almost like a Japan black) to match my bedroom furniture.

I wanted to get the staining finished today but didnt quite get there :( I'll finish it tomorrow and get a coat or 2 of clear to bring out the color :thumbsup: . Here are the doors stained and waiting for clear coat.

Here is the tank I'm going to use for the sump and trickle filter. I actually found it on someones front lawn with the trash :woot:

..and finally the tank waiting patiently for me to finish the stand :thumbsup:

:feedback:

Should have it pretty much finished tomorrow I hope.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store