help am i getting ripped off

StripeGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Boston, MA
here is the story in short form..I bought a tank 4.5x4.5x3.5(a big cube)any who,I had a cast iron stand made for this.The cost was 550 and i thought that was high,then he said we can paint it for another hundred,now he is on his way to deliver it and he said the cost to paint it is now 250??what the f ,not to mention i have been waiting for two months.Is he ripping me off.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
If you've already agreed on a price than he can not change it. Save the money and paint it yourself??? Do you have any large male friends/relatives to help get your point across if needed?

brianjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Baltimore, MD
tell him that all you are paying him is what he quoted you when you authorized him to do the work. Did you give him any money? If you didnt tell him he can keep the stand....

brianjh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Baltimore, MD
thats what I would do, this guy sounds like a real genius...I could try to smack him around a bit but might be a bit of a drive....
Any way, yeh, that what I would do. If he originally told you $100 to paint thats what I would pay him... when did he tell you it was $250 for the paint? Was it just now when he is scheduled to drop it off? WTF kinda paint is it for $250??

StripeGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Boston, MA
yes exactly he tells me on the way here with the stand"Oh by the way they charged me 250 to paint the stand"I'm going to have him bring it in and then i'm giving him 100 like we agreed on.

What is a good price for a stand like this?

hamato_yoshii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Earth (temporarily)
Yeah I would pay him what he quoted you, if he didn't do his research to find out how much it would really cost, thats his problem, he didn't have to tell you $100, but he did and thats what you agreed on. If he has a problem, just tell him that if he would have said $250 you would've said no, and had it painted yourself.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
you should agreed every thing including painting and delievery price at once. make it easy for you. Yes you getting ripped off. painting cost me less then $20. the pain it's only around that much. It only take a couple of hours to paint, maybe not even.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store