Paratheraps guttulatus

Mojarraman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
USA
WC P. guttulatus Rio Mosanito in courtship colors:

Shots of WC breeder gibbiceps & nebuliferus & bulleri coming soon. The gibbs are just as pretty and the nebs even prettier - and much more peaceful. Bulleri are stunning at larger sizes. Vegetable matter in the diet including diatomaceous algea makes a difference.

Mojarraman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
USA
Thanks. Much appreciated. As usual, the fish do pretty much everything and I just hang around for the fireworks. Even tho they are essentially herbivorous, like their cousins the fenestratus these "cobalt blues" (see my other recent "Paratheraps" thread for naming motivation) as they are called can easily hold their own. Males, topping out at least 12", can stand up to any of the Vieja is my belief, but I probably won't ever place them in community tanks. I don't think they would back down from any Central Americans except the Parachromis & Caquetia due to the dentition and size of the latter. I've seen them fairly comfortable w/ several fenes & harts in a 150 gallon that had no breeding going on. If spawning were to have taken place, I think a 180 or bigger would surely have become necessary. If I were to opt for a community tank w/ gutts, it would probably mimic the one I saw: strictly paratheraps complex, probably w/ larger harts since they are less robust. I think that any Vieja might be in danger beings the gutts and fenes are generally faster swimmers - and pretty damn tough customers. They don't take many prisoners. I think a 125+ gallon (long footprint) ensures the greatest chance of success in the long term for ANY mentioned here. The 5 gutts are in a 210 which I think is about right. I HOPE I can keep them in there for many years. The largest male at about 8" has a ways to go so we'll see. These are very active, relatively open water cruisers and somewhat friendly towards me. That may change after 1st harvest. Of course they are far prettier "in person" with much more color than any camera can capture. I don't mind saying that they are truly a sight to behold. A community tank made up of the Paratheraps complex is even more surreal: fairly constant swimming (at least in the presence of humans) and colors GALORE. Here's a shot of a juvenile hartwegi starting to take some serious color:

In males the olive/lime is often replaced w/ yellow or royal blue. The color/pattern variability amongst harts/gutts is phenomenal - in my experience, no two are ever exactly alike. What I mean is that it is always plainly obvious which member of a colony is which. Of course that's true of so many CA's (and partly why IMHO they are easily the best looking cichlids) but these guys (harts/gutts and especially gutts) really take the cake in terms of their incredible individuality.

Mojarraman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
USA
Thanks kindly. Free swimming fry today.

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
nice crew