SeaChem Matrix or Eheim Substrat Pro

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I believe the Eheim product has the highest SF area, but it is expensive. I use it.

tapeworm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2007
soCal
Substrat Pro, if this was edible I would eat it, thats how good it is. ALL my canisters have this. :D

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Eheim's Ehfisubstrat pro is by far the highest surface area per gallon commonly available. Cellpore has a higher surface area I believe, but does tend to clog.

dodge4x4man68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
MASS
WyldFya;1725214; said:
Eheim's Ehfisubstrat pro is by far the highest surface area per gallon commonly available. Cellpore has a higher surface area I believe, but does tend to clog.
thats funny...nylon pot scrubbers have more surface area than the eheim ehfisubstrat. all advanced aquarists use nylon pot scrubbers and it saves you a ton of cash and they dont clog

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
dodge4x4man68;1732319;1732319 said:
thats funny...nylon pot scrubbers have more surface area than the eheim ehfisubstrat. all advanced aquarists use nylon pot scrubbers and it saves you a ton of cash and they dont clog
Not even close. Pots scrubbers don't even break the 10,000 sq feet per gallon mark. Ehfisubstrat pro is at 18,300 square feet per gallon. No competition, substrat and substrat pro are much higher surface area biomedias than pot scrubbers.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
A simple search for bio media chart would yield this

From this post.

Ehfisubstrat/ehfisubstrat pro = 18,300 sq. ft. per gallon.
Pot scrubbers = 2767.6 sq. ft per gallon

1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons of water.

To equal one gallon of ehfisubstrat pro, you would need 6.62 gallons of pot scrubbers. Not all the pros use nylon scrubbers, many don't, it just depends on your budget, and how much space you have. Nylon scrubbers are far less efficient, and don't work well in canisters, but if you have a large sump, you can house more, as space isn't a big issue.

dodge4x4man68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
MASS
WyldFya;1732543; said:
A simple search for bio media chart would yield this

From this post.

Ehfisubstrat/ehfisubstrat pro = 18,300 sq. ft. per gallon.
Pot scrubbers = 2767.6 sq. ft per gallon

1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons of water.

To equal one gallon of ehfisubstrat pro, you would need 6.62 gallons of pot scrubbers. Not all the pros use nylon scrubbers, many don't, it just depends on your budget, and how much space you have. Nylon scrubbers are far less efficient, and don't work well in canisters, but if you have a large sump, you can house more, as space isn't a big issue.
you use it? I did for a year and its junk cloudy water the entire time...switched over to 12 scrubbers per basket in my fx5 and water has been crystal clear ever since...so in my opinion ehfisubstrat is junk

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i have 36 pot scrubbies in my FX5 and my water quality is great. The eheim stuff has the biggest surface area, but i couldnt bring my self to spend that much on media to fill my FX5.

Has anybody ever used ehfisubstrat pro in a wet dry? would it be more effecient than submerged?

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
i was under the impression that pot scrubbers are meant for wet drys while ehfisubstrat pro is meant for canisters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store