Prizm Skimmer hop ups

slowef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Destin, FL
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, i got this from OZREEF, figured some of you had this skimmer and might wanna make it work a little better so here.

OK, so you've bought a Prizm skimmer and can't get it working well. It's hard to tune and spewing micro bubbles all over your tank and maybe even flooding.
I bought one cheap here in Hong Kong ($85 Australian) and did some easy mods on it to get it working well.
Firstly, the packaging says up to 100 gallons. This is wishful thinking. I wouldn't use one (even with mods) on any tank bigger than 35 gallons. That appears to be their maximum.
Here's the mods:-
  1. Replace the air tubing with slighly larger diameter tube. Basically buy silicone air line as large as possible that will still seal around the nipples.
  2. Raise the skimmer higher on the back of the tank. Put the large plastic screw in the bottom of the 2 holes and raise the skimmer body by placing a block under the outlet so as the screw just has enough glass pannel to fix against. I was able to raise the body an extra inch or so. The screw just has enough glass to connect to the back of the tank without risking it slipping off.
  3. Raise the collection cup up a little so as it just seals with the rubber o-ring.
  4. Use mechanical media sheeting (the stuff that comes in sheets, usually blue or white and is coarser than foam and stronger than filter wool) and cut it so as it will completely fill the overflow chamber. you might need to add extra pieces to completely fill be space. The idea is to make sure all water has to flow through this on it's way out of the skimmer body. This mod will eliminate the micro bubbles and increase the contact time within the skimmer.
  5. Ensure you bleed all the bubbles out of the inlet tube when priming the skimmer.
  6. Once it's primed set the water level valve to the 10 pm/4 am position or so as the foam level is slightly under the rubber o-ring.
These mods turned my Prizm from a light green "tea maker" into a black "coffee maker" almost imediately. The foam it's producing now is also dry and continuous. I'm using it on an 18inch cube (20 gallon) tank.
Another mod that I haven't tried is to firstly add larger diameter airline, fill the last (overflow) chamber as in point 4 above and add a 3 inch extension to the neck of the skimmer - effectively raising the cup a full 3 inches above the body. This last mod allows you to drive the skimmer much harder.
The mods above don't take long to complete and the difference should be immediately apparent (i.e. providing your skimmer has been run in... usually 4-7 days after it's first installed).

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
thats a cute lil article....you should post it in the lounge on onionoh1 thread and win the MFK decal. :D

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
Well I have a prism I kicked across my yard a year or two ago, but what the heck, this guy thinks he found a way to make them actually work, why not, I will experiment with anything. I have another 29gallon that I am cycling for frag's, so might as well see if his little modifications make any difference at all. They sound reasonable and in theory would make a difference. Lets test it!

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
woop woop love it....i'm currently starting my copepod farm! lol fun stuff.

you should deffo post results!! :D with pictures... i like pictures

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Sounds like some good ideas to try. Mine gets some stuff out, but not much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store