Monster Iraqi Fish

Supes13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Ohio
This fish was caught out of one of the large lakes in Baghdad...we dont know what kind it is. anybody care to venture a guess?

jaws.JPG

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Its monste! At first glance I was going to say a perch but its not a perch. Its fin and head structure makes me think its a type of cyprinid.

Wes?!

Supes13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Ohio
if you look closely at the corner of the mouth you can see a whisker which made me think that it was from the carp family but i wasnt sure. i heard that they had some grass carp out here but this is not the grass carp that i am familiar with. they said that they caught it while fishing for catfish and that it was eating the small catfish that was attracted by the wonderful fish bait known as "Cheetos" then again it could all be rumor. this picture popped up in my mailbox because i am an avid fisherman and just bought an ultralight rod for the bass that i have seen jumping around...now i think i might have to upgrade. let me know what you guys think. thanks!

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
nice fish,look like a perchspecies from the Nile

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
NOT a perch. I do see the barbles now. Perch lack barbles and they have a lobed dorsal consisting of spiny rays in the front and soft in the back. This fish doesnt so it rules out perch for good.

It is a predatory carp of some sory but Ive never really been into cyprinids. Im sure Wes could tell you off the bat what it is.

Cool fish and I like it!!!

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Wow cool fish. Is it me or is he not struggling at all to hold that thing up? The side fin also looks funny. I'll wait for someone to ID but looks fishy to me.

snakeheader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
ohio
wow those are huge

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store