Marine Nano tanks w/o Skimmers

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok I just want to show people that it can be done. I would hope to get people to be a little less dependent on them. We all get so involved in all this expensive equipment when tanks can be run well without it. All of my saltwater tanks do not have protein skimmers. I'll post pics and explanations on how I get away with out it.
The set up...
Lights:Nova extreme t-5 I believe it was around $50
Mechanical filter:Tetra Whisper In Tank Filter (10i) and only $10
Circulation:JBJ powerhead 240 gallons per hour $20
Heater: Stealth submersible 20W $15
Rock:15lbs $90
Sand:10lbs $20
Tank:10 gallon $10
So for the set up alone its costs $215

Stocking
One two headed fox coral
One toadstool leather
A bunch of green mushrooms
two stripped mushrooms
torch coral
some other types of polyps that came in on some rock
(more corals to come just have to save up enough money)
one skunk cleaner shrimp
YTBD
one emerald crab
three astrea snails
one turbo snail
one pyramid
and a crud load of baby snails that are too small to id
then up until a few weeks ago I had a female mandarin dragonet that mysteriously died

The way I keep this tank going is fairly simple. All I have to do is feed measured amounts of food to keep too much waste from accumulating. That and occasional water changes. I check the SG daily and do my water quality testing every other day. So far I do a water change about once a month and that keeps everything just where I want it. :naughty:
So I feel the key to going skimmer less is not having too many fish. My bio load is very low. The bacteria are thriving and same with algae and that helps keep a natural balance. So I just wanted to post this to prove that it can be done on a nano reef. My tank has been doing well for a while now. Hope this inspires a few to try a skimmerless tank or at least be a little less dependent on them.

nano tank skimmer 001.jpg

nano tank skimmer 002.jpg

nano tank skimmer 003.jpg

nano tank skimmer 008.jpg

nano tank skimmer 009.jpg

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
Well done serafino! Yes it can be done, and I think could end up being a great discussion, your corals look beautiful by the way and I love the clove polyps you have. Don't see those too often in people's tank. I am going to move this to the photo louge and sticky it, as this is sure to be something of interest for people! Good job!

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
thats amazing. i wish i could pull the "just one more tank" gag just one more time haha i would deffently do this. great idea.just currious how long has it been set up?

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I has been set up I think for about 7-8 months now. When I first set it up I was expecting to do twice weekly water changes but I never had to and I only have to do it very occasionally. It doesn't work for everything though. You need to have a very light bio load on it and a big clean up crew. I could put in more fish but that would mean more frequent water changes. I enjoy the natural balance of fish to rock to clean up crew to corals to algae to etc to etc its is almost self supporting if I were to swap out the YTBD with a mandarin dragonet I wouldn't have to feed because I have lots of copepods breeding. The snails are breeding too. It is fun to not have to put in much work to enjoy a nice reef tank. The only thing I have to do regularly is top it off with RO water because it evaporates pretty quickly here.

burgo1974

Feeder Fish
Aug 20, 2006
england
Hi, can you guys tell me why you dont need a skimmer on a nano....

Everybody i ask allways says you do....

sorry for my noobness.....:confused:

glenbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
England
I'm shocked that your trying to prove this can be done :s I have never heard of a nano tank using a protien skimmer,they don't produce enough protein to skim.

My 20 gall Nano has been running for months perfectly without one to,i just do a 2 gall water change once a week.

I dont even use RO in mine,just tap water mixed up and y tank is perfect..i havent even had any algae at all yet in 5 months+ and as you know..if i was going to get it,it would of bee nat the beggining with the Nitrate spike in the cycle.

Not lost one fish or invert since i have had it either...my stock is

2 x Oc Clowns
1 x Yellow Tail Blue Damsel
1 x Yellow Clown Goby
9 x Blue Legged Hermits
2 x Red Legged Hermits
2 x Turbo Snails
1 x Blood/Fire Shrimp
1 x Peppermint Shrimp
1 x Cleaner Shrimp
1 x Emarald Crab

500+ x heads of Mixed Zoas
10 x small Feather Dusters
1 x Coco Worm
1 x Sun Coral
1 x Pulse Coral
few more i dont know the name of.

10.5 Kg of Live Rock
4 Kg of Live Sand
2 Kg of Crushed Coral Sand
Fluval 2+ with Carbon and Floss
Hydor Koriela Nano Power Head
Leo Sacem Air Pump with Built in LED light
2 x T5 lighting with Blue LEDs when switched off

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
PH 8.3
Salinity 1.023
Phosphate 0ppm

The only problem i have has was a self induced Apitasia outbreak (i used tweezers..whoops) and a few nudibranchs which i have mostly got rid of.

But this proves not only do you not need a skimmer,you do not need RO either,my tank proves this...Marines are alot easier than people say.

Also people say you have to mix the salt water with a power head over the space of 24 hours in a bucket with a heater and power head...meh! I just fill a bucket up with water,half from the tap,half from a boiled kettle,dechlorinate it,dump a load of salt in there,mix it up till its clear,float my hydrometer in there until i get it to the level i want,leave it ten mins..stirr again,dump it in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store