joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
This background will be for my Fluval venizia 350
(92gal corner bowfront)
I wanted a custom 3D background for this tank that would hide all equipment. Doing just that was not as hard as i thought it would be. Making it fit into a corner bowfront was another story.
After pondering on how i would do it, and searching online for ideas, i came up with a great design(i think)
SO ONTO THE BUILD!!!!!!! and pictures of course!!!!
Supplies:
1 sheet of styrofoam (96X48x1.5 inches)
1 thick paint brush
2 boxes of cement (2kgs each) i dont think i`ll use it all, but it better than running out of it.
2 tubes of silicone
1 calking gun
1 sharp knife(i used a cheap steak knife,it cuts the best)

First thing first, when i got it all home, i cut the sheet into 6 equal pieces(3 for each side)
here are the supplies and cut styrofoam

This is the tank i am making it for...

To get it to fit into the corner, i decieded to interlock the edges for a tight fit and no gaps to fill.

Here it is standing on its own , siliconed together. I only siliconed all of the left side together and all of the right side, i did not silicone the right side to the left as i would never be able to get it in the tank or carve it properly if i did.

Here is the left side almost done, just a few more touch ups needed.......

Here is the right side. Note the lighting grid used as a screen for the input and output for the filter. This tank is drilled for a fluval 405 canister filter. The top srceen is for the out put, the bottom is for the input. my heater will also go back there as well.

Here they are connected......

Thats it for today....... Tomorrow i will do a coat of cement. i will tehn do two or more coats letting it set for 12-24hours between each coat.
Suggestions and comments welcome!!

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
weeble;2117464; said:
looking good cant wait to see the finished product....im thinking of doing one for my 160 gal
I've done one for a 6 foot tank befor as well, that one was actually a little easier to be honest. these are just time consuming, not hard.
Styrofoam is easy to work with, if you cut too much, then just silicone a new piece in place, if you dont cut enough, just cut more!

vildotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
looks good. what species of fish is that? you have this tank as a breeder/show tank?

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
vildotcom;2117515; said:
looks good. what species of fish is that? you have this tank as a breeder/show tank?
The fish are Uaru. The tank is set up right now as a show tank, but i do hope for a successful spawn from the pair.

a_c_arnold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
St. Louis
I noticed that your tank was full and just wanted to check that that background will go into your tank and there isn't any issues with a brace or something. I have had to cut all of my backgrounds into smaller pieces in order to make them fit and wanted to give you some heads up before you started cementing. My only other advice is to use lots of silicone. I reinforced a lot of my joints with toothpicks and dows because you don't want anything coming loose.

gthiele

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Miami
very creative the tank is very neat and simple I like that in a fish tank. Beauriful fish too.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
a_c_arnold;2117583; said:
I noticed that your tank was full and just wanted to check that that background will go into your tank and there isn't any issues with a brace or something. I have had to cut all of my backgrounds into smaller pieces in order to make them fit and wanted to give you some heads up before you started cementing. My only other advice is to use lots of silicone. I reinforced a lot of my joints with toothpicks and dows because you don't want anything coming loose.
My tank has NO bracing, It does have a solid frame on the top, but nothing that will obstruct the background from going in.
this is not my first background i have made, so i know to use lots of silicone on this as it will still be very boyant even with the cement!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store