specific ? about fishless cycle

chester va

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
va
I just got all the parts to my filter, API test kit, ammonia, heater and everything is up and running. I think I have the basic idea of how a cycle works. I would like to do a fishless cycle, but I know it takes time adding ammonia everyday. I plan on going out of town for about a week for Thanksgiving and I don't have anyone who can tend to the tank while I'm gone. My question is: Can I start a fishless cycle and take a break without the BB dying off while I'm gone? Could I start it and add shrimp (how many?) to keep it going until I come back? I plan on using some filter media from my goldfish stocktank from outside (unless that's a bad idea) to try to get it going. My FIL thinks I should just use some hardy fish (then flush them when I'm done), but I don't want to do that. What do you think? Thanks!

chester va

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
va
Can anyone help please? Also, do I take the Chemipure out of the filter while doing a fishless cycle? and put it back in when I get fish?

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
you could get it going and then throw some dead shrimp in there to rot while you are gone. You just need to maintain some sort of ammonia source for the bcateria's food. It is not the perfect way by any means but most of the bacteria should stay alive with just the shrimp.

chester va

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
va
Thanks for the reply, I know it's not the best, but it's all I could think of. So, I probably want to take the Chemipure out and put it back in before I add fish?

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Just add a few fish flakes everyday. Just act like your feeding fish and toss a few in daily. The flakes will decay and make ammonia, flakes are pretty much fish meal so when they decay you will have ammonia. Just dump in a bit extra when you leave for the break.

I've cycled my 20 gallon like that, worked just fine. The tank will looks pretty crappy with decaying flakes everywhere but it works.:grinno:

Reactions: Justepic

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I changed my 30 gallon HOB filter and put the cartridge in the 20 gallon and that helped alot. It took maybe 3 weeks if that.

chester va

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
va
Thanks for the response Packer, I'm excited to get this thing going and to get fish, but I want to do it right. Do you know about the Chemipure? I think I'll take it out, as it absorbs the ammonia and add it again before the fish.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Yeah I was googling it and it says that it removes ammonia, so I would take it out. You will get no where with something that removes ammonia. And don't change your tank water until it's been cycled. Most dechlorinators will remove ammonia also which will again mess everything up.

chester va

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
va
I plan on putting filter material from my outdoor stocktank (goldfish) but I don't know if the temp change is going to kill the BB. I guess it's still worth a try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store