Continuous water changer

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
I've got a few questions, if you're feeling generous and have a little time.

I would really feel safer if my rays got water changed from a system rather than buckets (plus, it's so 2002 to haul buckets around!). If I wind up back in the desert, I want to make it easier on Ashley to take good care of the rays (as she loves them, feeds them and knows quite a bit about them, but so far I've done all of the water and filter work).

I want to build a system for 2 tanks that will change the water automatically. I've only got a sink and a tub to work with in the guest bathroom, and I cannot drill holes in the walls, so bear with me. My tank is also glass (not drilled) but the 6'x5'x2' plywood tanquarium I am building will have a drain hole. I've also got a 360 gallon acrylic aquarium coming in, but the only nearby bathroom is in our bathroom, and Ashley would never allow pipes or tubes to come anywhere near her sanctuary, so buckets away on that tank. :screwy:

I've actually got an overflow box (not installed yet, because I'm nervous about flooding the house), no working sump (but I do have various sized bins set aside for just such an occasion) but no plumbing or anything else I need yet (I'm not exactly sure what that even is at this point) except for a sediment/carbon stop water filter that hooks up to the sink. The water here in Odenton, MD is total crap, but I think one sediment and one carbon block will be ok.

So, here are my questions:
1. Does carbon block remove chlorine?
2. What exactly do I need to make a relatively idiot-proof sump and continuous water changer?
3. Do you mind helping a noob out?

I am rather new to the DIY type stuff, so if you could be really clear about what parts I need and how to put it together, I would be very grateful.

I know it is a lot to ask, but I haven't been getting anywhere asking Home Depot employees or looking around on the net, and I want to get this thing underway already so that I can post the thread instead of carrying buckets (or have Ash carry the buckets, if I am gone).

Thanks,
-Matt

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
I'm in the planning stages of the same thing...I need to do a R.O. drip and that requires an overflow to waste water...
The RO units I am looking at have zero waste, so I just need a supply for that. And a drain from an overflow that drains what the RO drips in...

Do you have any way to get a pipe to a drain?

Are you willing to drill the tank for an overflow?

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
zennzzo;2438563; said:
I'm in the planning stages of the same thing...I need to do a R.O. drip and that requires an overflow to waste water...
The RO units I am looking at have zero waste, so I just need a supply for that. And a drain from an overflow that drains what the RO drips in...

Do you have any way to get a pipe to a drain?

Are you willing to drill the tank for an overflow?
I can get a pipe to the sink, or the toilet, but no drain.

I would be willing to drill the tank, but it has inhabitants and I have never cut glass before.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
abortedsoul;2438683; said:
I can get a pipe to the sink, or the toilet, but no drain.

I would be willing to drill the tank, but it has inhabitants and I have never cut glass before.
this will have to be there all the time so the amount of water that is added to the tank can "overflow" into waste water (sink, toilet etc.)
the only other way, is to capture it into a tote, that will have to be emptied...

As far as water goes is your water chlorinated? If it is water that comes from a R.O. unit is pure, 7.0 ph and chlorine free.
(this is what I have to drip into my tank for contiuous water change)

Drilling tanks is really easy, and I might get flamed for this, but I have drilled them with inhabitants...

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
First thing you need to do if you are doing a drip system from the tap is either find out if your water is treated with Chlorimine OR just assume it is, but I see this as a wasted cost IF you DO NOT have it added to the water. Your water supplier should have this info available to you.

In my understanding carbon filters WILL remove Chlorine but NOT chlorimine. If you ARE treated with Chlorimine then you need a dosing machine of some sort to add chemical to break the chlorimine bond.......

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
DB junkie;2438835; said:
First thing you need to do if you are doing a drip system from the tap is either find out if your water is treated with Chlorimine OR just assume it is, but I see this as a wasted cost IF you DO NOT have it added to the water. Your water supplier should have this info available to you.

In my understanding carbon filters WILL remove Chlorine but NOT chlorimine. If you ARE treated with Chlorimine then you need a dosing machine of some sort to add chemical to break the chlorimine bond.......
Yes and find out if they use chlorine for the regular days and Chloramine on heavy days...this too will make a difference...

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Mine swore they have never used Chlorimine. I think it's safe to assume everywhere gets chlorine. You just need to know if they have ever, currently, or ever will use chlorimine.

tonymofo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 23, 2007
Detroit
www.youtube.com
Here's an easier option so yo don't have to drill the tanks or setup a new drip system water changer. How about getting an extra long python and a big bottle of prime decholorinator. If you wanna take it a step further try getting a tap water filter from Dr.foster&smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4484. No buckets, you save some $$$$ all you need is a little dedication and schduled maintance.

Just remember to show her how to use an API test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Little bit of a correction here. If you buy an activated catalytic carbon filter, it will filter out both chlorine and chloramines. The only output is a minute amount of ammonia that will be absorbed by the BB.

Here's a link (last item on the page):
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/chloramine_filters.htm

I do have to agree that you will need somewhere to route the waste water to.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Pharoh......

Little guidance here.........

The filter guys link, it sounds like this is to be used with an RO system. Could this also be used on the main line in a house? I want to set up a drip system off my tap water.

Is this something you have incorporated into your system? Have any pics?

Your advice would be appreciated.

I'm gathering that from all the 1/4 inch fittings I see on these things that it would basically just tap into your houses water similar to an icemaker?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store