Making my 800 gal larger.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
My name is Jonathan, otherwise known as TheFishGuy on a few other forums. I run monsterfishrescue.com and seem to be rescuing more and more fish. Recently my 800 that I built two and a half years ago started to leak. The tank has been drained and all the fish are living in a roughly 800 gallon pond. So since we have this saying that there's no problems just opportunities I've decided to take this opportunity to make the tank much larger. As it stands the tank measures 14' long 3' front to back and 30" tall. Since my incredibly understanding wife who lets me fill the house with fish tanks doesn't want the tank to take up more room I've decided to add onto the back of it. I'm going to take it a step further though and make the addition deeper. What I mean by deeper is by making it taller by going down.

Here's the future footprint:

So while the footprint will be larger indeed, it's going to be 26 or so inches deeper in the addition part. Here's a 3D to explain.

Then what it'll look like through the glass:

With the addition the total gallons will go from 785.45 to 1623.27 more than doubling gallonage. More importantly this will give options for more fish to go into the tank by creating two huge breaks in line of site.

Here's a link to the original build, and to the thread that was a continuation:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=103294&highlight=1122

The continuation:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=157482&highlight=wish+list+800

This is essentially part three :) And yes, I've started this thread on a bunch of forums because I'd like to get to know the people from this forum. :)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would think that this would definitely be an interesting setup. It would be even cooler if you lowered one side of the front and made it viewable. Good luck on the redesign.

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
I don't know how your house is set up, but I would try to make the extension go through a wall into another room and put a viewing window there. Anyway, pretty cool, good luck.

Oh, I stumbled across monsterfishrescue one day and I don't really get it. Do you just take in peoples really big fish and sell them? Maybe I should visit the site again.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
I've decided it'll take too much to make the deeper side viewable. The floor drain is on that side so I'd like to keep that intact. If i just add to the back then It'll be pretty easy to make the tank bigger. I think it'll be pretty cool not being able to see most of the lower part. Watching fish rise from nowhere would be kind of cool...

All I've got to do is remove this section of wall:

Then add the side and back walls for the addition. All I'll need to do it line the floor since it'll be going straight to the concrete.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
Monster Fish Rescue is more than just taking in peoples fish and "just selling them" The fish are not always sold, as a matter of fact the fish that do go from here are adopted out and the people that take them have to prove to me they can handle the fish. If they cannot then they don't get the fish. I'm not a store. I decide who the fish goes to. MFR is also about educating the public on proper husbandry of fish and reptiles.

Back on subject...

The back of this tank will be up against the back block wall of the basement. No viewing possible from that side. :)

In order to be able to keep this thread running without issues please direct any questions concerning MFR to me in a pm. I'll be glad to answer any questions. :)

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
TheFishGuy;2466357; said:
Monster Fish Rescue is more than just taking in peoples fish and "just selling them" The fish are not always sold, as a matter of fact the fish that do go from here are adopted out and the people that take them have to prove to me they can handle the fish. If they cannot then they don't get the fish. I'm not a store. I decide who the fish goes to. MFR is also about educating the public on proper husbandry of fish and reptiles.

Back on subject...

The back of this tank will be up against the back block wall of the basement. No viewing possible from that side. :)

In order to be able to keep this thread running without issues please direct any questions concerning MFR to me in a pm. I'll be glad to answer any questions. :)
Right Right, I meant no disrespect to your organization, and I will be pm-ing you, but back to the tank.

I agree that it is cool to not always see the fish, and let them decide when to show themselves. I just saw the video of the tank, and with so many fish, it's not like your going to get bored because you can't always see every fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store