My 224G Plywood build

Aquariumjunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
Monroe, Wa
alright, so here it goes. this tank has been in the planning stage for a while, and i didnt want to start posting without some progress. well i've got the plywood put together, and i'm working on the stand. so i guess i'll start posting now. i am using 3/4" plywood. and i just bought the pond liner. the tanks dimensions are 5'x3'x2'. and i'll be using a 50G rubbermaid tub for my sump, along with a 20G wet/dry filter. a 1800 GPH pump will be supplying the system. i'll put together a price list when i done. so here it goes...

the first pic is the tank upside down with the stand on top. i'll be reinforcing it alot more:) And the second pic has a 5G bucket for scale...

Stand.jpg

240G.jpg

Burko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
“i didnt want to start posting without some progress.”

I wish I’d thought of that…

Keep the updates flowing and good luck.

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
Looks good so far, can't wait to see more pics..

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Keep the pics coming. Anxious to see how it works.

Aquariumjunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
Monroe, Wa
Alright so i'm heading to LOWES tomorrow to get some 4x4's and 2x4's. also some silicone. what kind of sealer should i use between the liner and the plywood? i've heard of people using a spray on kind, but what brand? and will silicone seal the glass to the liner? i'll post some pics up tomorrow...:)

Aquariumjunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
Monroe, Wa
Alright so i've started on the stand. the first pic is a mock up, there will be two more horizontal braces. i'll also be adding more vertical bracing, and framing in two cabinets. the second pic, shows how the frame sits on the 4x4. tomorrow i will cut out the viewing window, and i'll post some more pics also. it's been hard to get motivated to build this thing after 12+ hour days working on a drill rig! but it's getting there:) a sump question for you guys... if i'm running a 1800 GPH pump, would it be smart to use 2 1" overflows? or would 1 1" overflow work? alright so here's the pics...

000_1230.jpg

000_1232.jpg

local hero

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2006
...in my head
each 1" hole will just barely do 600 gpm, a 2" hole will do about four times as much as a 1"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store