Johanni? Maingano?

MoFish78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
Bay Area CaliFornia
I bought a male True Maingano yesterday because I have these (blue) in my tank hoping they are female mainganos...Could they be Johannis? How can you tell the difference?

Can anyone please tell me if these are Mainganos or Johannis? thanks!

Pictures 037.jpg

Pictures 038.jpg

Pictures 036.jpg

colinrobinson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
where all the fish are!
johanni females are yellow with the males looking blue and black with a horizontal stripe and there is no way to tell the males apart in most situations. and it is advises to get the fish from reliable breeders due to the vast amount of malawi hybrids. HTH

Bogwoodbruce

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
Rotherham, UK
www.facebook.com
colinrobinson;2783483; said:
johanni females are yellow with the males looking blue and black with a horizontal stripe and there is no way to tell the males apart in most situations. and it is advises to get the fish from reliable breeders due to the vast amount of malawi hybrids. HTH
Yep. Colin pretty much summed it up :)

MoFish78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
Bay Area CaliFornia
i see. thanks anyway. the second pic was acquired from an LFS who seems to know their stuff and she told me its a male Maingana true.

Can anyone please identify them if Johanni or Maingano?

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Only dif I can tell with my maingano is he doesn't have the white border on his top fin and tail that the johannii does also his belly is black ..........no way to tell from pcs

MoFish78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
Bay Area CaliFornia
thanks otherone...got a pic? now that you bring up the "belly theory".

i notice that the first pic has a blue belly...i always thought/hoped its a female maingano.

the 2nd pic im confident is a maingano bec i bought it as that. (male maingano)

the 3rd pic i see that it has a black belly too just like the 2nd pic...but the 3rd fish has a lighter color so im guessing/hoping its a female maingano.

sutherland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2009
Las Vegas
Maingano or Johanni...call them what you like. Just know that in a few months they may be running that tank.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
MoFish78;2788705; said:
i see them being sold and labeled separately. are you saying it's the same exact fish?

They are classed as different and ARE different fish-

Melanochromis Johanni
Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos or electric blue Maingano

Although I have seen articles on the web calling the 2 the same fish they are infact different. The female Johanni is Yellow the female Maingano is blue.

I did read your request for pics and yes I do have pics of both however the pics don't show a clear enough difference to warrant posting.

I suggest do what I do ................goggle them or read this:http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/AfricanCichlids/Johanni.asp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store