5g bucket filter media

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
I built a 5 gallon bucket filter last year. Here is a pic.

click here for far shot

The bottom is filled with lava lock up to the return. Next up is 3 gallons of Lee's bio balls. A ball of ehfi-fix course mesh is stuffen in front of the return. And finally on the top I use 2 layers of polyester batting.

The pump is a submersed no name waterfall pump with a large sponge prefilter. rated for 1260 gph.

Now that that's all out of the way, what I'm looking for is a top level of filtration. Some sort of a coarse sponge big enough to fill the bucket without side blow out. Something to trap the large particles and allow the water from the spraybar to distribute equally across the polyester batting.

Thoughts?

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
I picked up a set of Pondmaster refills and cut them to size.

Coarse, medium, medium with carbon, and then the poly batting. All the pieces I had left over I stuffed under the bioballs to up my biological filtration.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
AtomixIGN said:

Coarse, medium, medium with carbon, and then the poly batting. All the pieces I had left over I stuffed under the bioballs to up my biological filtration.

i use the fine pond water in my wet-dry

i highly recommend it

the one i have i bought last year, and i rinse it every week with a jet nozzle and it has yet to fall apart

ITS BUILT EXTREMELY TUFF:thumbsup:

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
I use a trash can as my filter, its almost the same as your bucket.

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
AtomixIGN said:

no offense or anything but those products are heavily overpriced...:grinyes: be better to get in bulk from koi shop much cheaper and same quality:thumbsup:

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
How about the commercial floor scrubber pads 18 & 24 ? " diameter, scrubbers are course, polisher pads are medium. Check with a janitorial supply. I used to cut them up for other filters I made. Heavy duty, last forever.... even work as bio-material ( more surface than pot scrubbers ). ;)

tattoodaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2006
Georgia
Now that is a good idea...build the filter with trash can and use floor scrubbers as media...maybe even aperfect fit. What size pump would be recommended for this set up?:confused:

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
Just use anyting rated at 400gph, thats wat i use I think

Don4921

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Tampa
Dr Joe said:
How about the commercial floor scrubber pads 18 & 24 ? " diameter, scrubbers are course, polisher pads are medium. Check with a janitorial supply. I used to cut them up for other filters I made. Heavy duty, last forever.... even work as bio-material ( more surface than pot scrubbers ). ;)
make sure you rinse those out before use sometimes they have chemicals on them already for the floor :( goodluck:woot:

GoodMike

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Spokane, WA
on our pond we use a similar set up, except we use a really large planter with a lid, its probably like a 40 gallon barrel basically, we took this pad material (kinda like a huge thick scrubber pad) its about 2 feet wide and 15 feet long. rolled it up, stuck it inside. the water is pumped from the pond to the bottom of the barrel, then when it reaches a certain hight, it is poured back into the pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store