Why not to use sand

Polyptasaurus

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2009
New York
Some of this was originally in response to another MFK members question, but I figured I should post the info up on here and even add some more data.

I've had sand for a while, but I'm getting rid of it now, coincidentally i started syphoning it out today.

If you choose sand, you need to put so thin of a layer that it really just covers the bottom of the tank, if its even an inch thick, its WAY too thick. what happens is that the sand traps nitrites/nitrates and if a certain patch of sand is left untouched for too long, upon disturbing it, it can actually create sulfuric acid in your water, instantly dropping your pH to 4 or lower and doing massive damage to your fish (obviously).

Get rid of your sand if you have it too thick, or simply take enough out so that you are only covering the bottom of the glass. The most effective way I've found is to use an 8 foot hose withOUT the big syphon tube on the end of it, and cut the hose at an angle. By cutting it an an angle you not only suck more sand out, but it doesnt get clogged as easily.

Believe it or not, sand ends up being MUCH dirtier than gravel and very annoying to clean. Best way to clean it is to syphon the sand into a bucket and actually wash the sand off, then dump it back into the tank. Even then, it should be done every 3 weeks.

It is very common to think that cleaning the "crap" off of the top of the sand is all you need to do. But the filth actually settles into the sand if its thick and it stays there, rotting and creating more ammonia. With that said, some people will stir up the sand and THEN do a water change, thinking that the garbage will be sucked out, but you're actually less likely to get any of the filth out that way. That is why it is better to just suck the sand out, wash it, then put it back.

Personally... I'm going back to gravel - very fine gravel, but gravel is DEFINITELY better than sand. If you don't have rays... you don't want sand.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
:popcorn:

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
thank you for outsmarting the oceans..... i knew they weren't right! the sand is probably causing the global warming

Polyptasaurus

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2009
New York
well obviously the sand in the ocean is going to be clean because the ENTIRE ocean is a filtration system, but thanks for the attempt at sarcasm.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
So where did you obtain this information you are pushing? I am especially interested in how sand traps nitrites and nitrates and creates sulfuric acid.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
I have lost more pumps and filters to sand over the years than I can count. That for me is enough of a reason to stay away from it. That and the fact that it shows dirt very very easily.

Polyptasaurus

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2009
New York
Well, like a lot of MFK members here, I've been doing this for quite some time, I also worked in a fish store in NY for several years. If thats not enough for you, my sister is a marine biologist and when I told her that I heard something about the possibility of sand creating sulfuric acid, she laughed at me saying, "uh... yeah, thats pretty much common knowledge". Clearly thats not common knowledge for us, but for them it is, lol. I didnt say that sand WILL create that, but it can if there are areas of sand that never get moved or disturbed. I'm also not "pushing" any information, i posted it because it was VERY useful for myself and would most likely help others. I could probably post the same amount about gravel, but i think theres a LOT more knowledge around gravel due to the fact that like 99% of fish keepers use it.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
So the info is hear say at best. I think it would be great if you could get sand to trap nitrates, could make a heck of a filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store