idenity crisis?

rhinod56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Illinois
I normally never buy fish without allot of research into it, but I couldn't pass these 2 guys up, they were in a tank labeled "assorted african cichlids" but would like to try and figure out what exactly they are, and any thing else I can about them. If needed will try to get more and better pics later tonight after I get home from work...

well no pictures for now, till I have the time to figure out and edit the files to meet the sites file size requirements

rhinod56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Illinois
ok, heres the pictures after I edited them for size

100_0330.JPG

cicgroupedit.jpg

cic1edit.jpg

rhinod56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Illinois
help anyone?

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
these look like Rift lake (probably Malawi's) to me. though I'm not well read on most Malawi's the first one looks like it could be a Nimbochromis species....livingstonii maybe?

:)

Tricky2103

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I agree the top one appears to be a nimbochromis livingstonii. I'm not sure of the other one but it appears to be a peacock of some sort.

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
Livingstonii - which get very large - and what looks to be a fryeri hybrid.

rhinod56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Illinois
thanks for the sugguestions, first one may be a hit right on the head, still unsure about the 2nd one though....

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
the last one might very well be a hybrid.

these african cichlids are mass bred in Florida farms and often interbreed among different species.

this is one reason pet stores sell them as "assorted african cichlids" rather than specifically labeling them with individual names.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store