New Land Crab (Cardisoma guanhumi) eye damage.

Blue Crab of PAIN!!!!

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
Buffalo NY
Hello MFKers!
Today in the mail I just received a medium-sized Cardisoma guanhumi. He's a beautiful animal (although he is quite nasty). I'm a little concerned about a brown/black speck on his left eye. Originally I thought it was a speck of dirt, but he never seems to wipe it off and after several hours of leaving him alone it's still there. it also looks a little different than the coconut fiber bedding I'm using.

It does not seem like his vision is impaired at all; he still tries to pounce at me when I bother him. I know crabs have compound eyes like flies and bees do, but I don't know if any damage to eyes can be healed.

Do a crabs eyes, like just about any of its other appendages, heal and regenerate after molting? Or is this a permanent issue? .... And is this even an issue at all? I don't think it's just dirt but it could be.

metalslug

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
new york
Make sure that dirt has NO pesticides in it. Looks like you have what we call on the island a left handed crab.lol. It should heal, after a few molts. Also you can accustom him to take food from you hand. I would also do gravle and a bowl of water, less smell and mess. Put a hinding spot for him and he should thrive.

Blue Crab of PAIN!!!!

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
Buffalo NY
metalslug;3295054; said:
Make sure that dirt has NO pesticides in it. Looks like you have what we call on the island a left handed crab.lol. It should heal, after a few molts. Also you can accustom him to take food from you hand. I would also do gravle and a bowl of water, less smell and mess. Put a hinding spot for him and he should thrive.
Sorry for the extremely delayed response. I'm reasonably certain that his substrate has no pesticides in it (it better not anyway, it's meant for pets :p ). I really can't get close enough to him to tell but I do believe he is in fact a male crab, which surprises me given how his claws are somewhat similar is size to each other. IDK maybe that's simply because he is young. He does have a large hiding spot to hide under, and he stays there all day. During the night he comes out and I can hear him thumping his chest and making a weird clunking noise. I'm not sure why he's doing it, but my Rainbow crab (Cardisoma armatum) that I had before him did the exact same thing. I'll try switching to gravel in the future, but not quite yet. I hve to haul him in a 2.5 hour trip to my college and gravel might be a bit too heavy. I do have a big, deep dog dish that he likes to bathe in though. I have thus far fed him dried krill, grapes, apples, and hermit crab food. strangely, he seems to love everything EXCEPT the hermit crab food.

Some time in the future I may want to find him a playmate, INK something like a cardisoma carnifex (if I can ever find one). That's assuming I get him a MUCH bigger cage.

metalslug

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
new york
Blue Crab of PAIN!!!!;3347795; said:
Sorry for the extremely delayed response. I'm reasonably certain that his substrate has no pesticides in it (it better not anyway, it's meant for pets :p ). I really can't get close enough to him to tell but I do believe he is in fact a male crab, which surprises me given how his claws are somewhat similar is size to each other. IDK maybe that's simply because he is young. He does have a large hiding spot to hide under, and he stays there all day. During the night he comes out and I can hear him thumping his chest and making a weird clunking noise. I'm not sure why he's doing it, but my Rainbow crab (Cardisoma armatum) that I had before him did the exact same thing. I'll try switching to gravel in the future, but not quite yet. I hve to haul him in a 2.5 hour trip to my college and gravel might be a bit too heavy. I do have a big, deep dog dish that he likes to bathe in though. I have thus far fed him dried krill, grapes, apples, and hermit crab food. strangely, he seems to love everything EXCEPT the hermit crab food.

Some time in the future I may want to find him a playmate, INK something like a cardisoma carnifex (if I can ever find one). That's assuming I get him a MUCH bigger cage.
We call the same sized claw crabs south paws...lol both male and female will have one large one small, so dont go by that. I can see from the pic hes a male from the underside ( dont hold me to that) also I would leave him solo unless you get something pretty long in size. He may predate your new addition. Gravel is just cleaner, they love to dig caves so dirt may be much more natural for him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store