lapradei not eating

helsekia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2006
uk
I bought a lapradei birchir 6 days ago.He is 12 inches long.The shop said he was feeding on whitebait,prawn and mussel but he just wont eat he isnt interested.

He is in a tank with 3 senegals and a delhezi and balas and a few cichlids but none of the other fish bother him.

Ive tried feeding allsorts I need help?

thanx in advance

Dozer0011

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Kansas, U.S.A.
Sometimes fish will take a considerable amount of time to adjust to a new environment. Its frustrating and worrysome for the keeper, I know.

Is he just hiding all the time but otherwise seem healthy? If so, rest assured he will eventually gain confidence & get hungry enough to venture out. Most fish can go a surprisingly long time without eating.

I would give him a good couple weeks to come around before getting too worried. If he was healthy & eating in the store, and your water is in good shape, you should be o.k. Keep trying & good luck:)

zaric

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
singapore
Maybe you can try feeder fish. If it eat, at least can put your heart at ease. Mine enjoy taking feeder alot, they are great hunter too.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Laps seem to go on hunger strikes from time to time.try an earthworm and drop it right in front of it.As stated above some take time to settles in and be comfortable-Anne

My old lap would refuse to eat from time to time so i had to place silversides in the plants
tails poking out then he'd eat them I am assuming it triggered a hunting insticnt

Alien

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
Vienna, Austria
In fact, 6 days are not that bad. If the bichir was well fed in the store, a hungerstrike of a month or even longer, will not harm it at all. Be patient. When he is hungry enough, he will eat.

BG
Thomas

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
My ornate went on a hunger strike when I first got it. It took a few weeks before I finally saw it eat. Just keep putting food out for him and it will eventually eat once it gets adjusted or really hungry. Also try some live earthworms or nightcrawlers.

helsekia

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2006
uk
Thankyou so much for your replies and reassurance.He still isnt eating but appears healthy.I will keep you posted

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Keep an eye on him if he doesn't look like hes losing wieght he should be ok.Something I forgot to mention my lap was very nocturnal try feeding just after lights out.-Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store