Riparium Package: Emersed Java fern & Epi-Trellis Raft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
If you might be considering a riparium setup this would be an excellent deal. The Epi-Trellis raft is a trellis raft designed specifically for "epiphytic" aquatic plants. These include species (e.g., Anubias, Java fern and Bolbitis fern) that can grow emersed on top of hard substrates such as rocks and logs. Here is a shot of a Epi-Trellis Raft.

This is not a regular Riparium Supply catalog offering. These pieces are prototypes that the foam shop graciously cut for me in a very small run. The final design will change slightly from this version, but these prototypes function perfectly. The next couple of pictures show how the Epi-Trellis raft works as a plant substrate.

The slot-shaped holes in the raft permit the plant roots to grow down into the aquarium water, while the rhizomes grow along the top surface. Here, the plastic zip tie (included in this package offering) visible in the center of the picture holds an Anubias rhizome against the raft while the plant establishes itself.

The raft is cut from the same tough closed-cell foam used for the regular Trellis Raft. It is highly buoyant and can be re-used many times. Here is another picture showing a well established Java fern (Microsorum sp.) with many rhizomes. Notice the mushroom-had fasteners (arrow) which make it easy to reposition the floating plant element in the riparium layout by snapping it tight against planter cups and other trellis raft features.

This view of the emersed area of my 55-gallon tank shows a mature Java fern growing on an Ei-Trellis Raft (left) as well as a robust Anubias barteri similarly planted (right).

These plants have thrived growing on the Epi-Trellis Raft and make very attractive foliage elements in the riparium layout.

To summarize this package offering each order will include the following items.

• ONE Epi-Trellis Raft
  • TWO 2" rhizomes of emersed-adapted Java fern with leaves
  • EIGHT black plastic zip ties
  • ONE small bag long-fibre spagnum peat moss

Here is a representative picture of the Java fern pieces included in the package.

I can send either this wavy-leaved, tri-lobed variety, or the more simple sword-leaved one show here.

Each division will include a 2" rhizome with at least two mature leaves. It takes a couple of months for Java fern to full adapt as an emersed plant, so take advantage of this offer to receive these plants ready to grow as hardy and bold foliage elements in your riparium layout. You can start to grow the fern on the Epi-Trellis Raft in a smaller tank (e.g., 10-gallon), but it willl eventually grow large, so you should plan to eventually include it in a larger (>50-gallon) riparium display.

I can spare just six of these Epi-Trellis Rafts right now. Each combination package is priced at $16.50 shipped, or two for $26.50. Package will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail for delivery in 2-3 business days. Add $1.50 to order total for heat pack in case of cold weather along the shipping route. PM for payment details. Respond into this thread or with PM with any other questions that might come to mind.

Cheers,

hydrophyte

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
I have had just a few nibbles, but no takers yet. This is an effective and different way to plant emersed Java fern, Anubias and Bolbitis, so if this interests you then do take advantage of this offer while it is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store