3M colorquartz?

HarleyK

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
fine sugar sized sand that won't puncture or harm them while they lay on the substrate.

mr.reef24

lach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Australia
i think pool filter sand would be perfect..
it usually comes in too types a majority silica version which is white
and the other is just river sand
they will both need a good wash before use

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
The sticky says not to use silica sand, but there's debate about this in the stingray section as a lot of people use it and have no problems. In fact, I've yet to see any issues directly caused by it. I've seen some that might have been caused by it, but there were other factors it could have been as well.

That being said, I have no experience with silica sand and rays. I used 3m color quartz and like it a lot. The only issue I have is it sticks to the rays, but they have no issues shaking it off when they want it off. Silica sand is roughly $8/80lb bag at home depot. 3m color quartz was $20/50lb bag. My theory was, I'm keeping rays that cost a couple hundred dollars and plan on keeping more expensive ones in the future, why cut costs on something that "may" harm them.

Also, 3m color quartz has been discontinued, but most distributors have bought up the remaining supply in large quantities. The guy I got mine from had over a half million pounds of it and laughed when I asked for 300 pounds. You should still be able to find distributors on 3m's website. Also, the place where I got mine from was replacing the color quartz with a similar product that looked just like the 3m stuff and came in multiple colors, but I forgot the name of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store