Tall stand build for 150 gallon gym tank

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Here we go, finally got this project started over the weekend. I purchased a used 150 gallon tank and a stand earlier this year. The stand is old and short (24" tall). I hate crouching to see my fish and kneeling to get under the tank. The tank is in my basement gym so I spend at least an hour a day looking at it.

I plumbed a "water change" closet about 6 feet from the tank so water changes are a breeze (I can do 75 gallons in less than 10 minutes).

The Plan:

1) Build a tall stand that gets the tank closer to eye level

2) Design a cabinet that is visually appealing..if it's going in my house I want it to look sharp.

3) Design a modified light hood that allows me to feed my fish without having to open a cabinet then have to lift a glass lid.

4) Upgrade my old classic eheims (I have 2- 2217). I've already ordered a new Pro3 2080

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you see something crazy, please warn me as well :)

Here are some pics of the job...last one is "tank view" of training area.

So far so level...

1) current short stand only 24inches tall in basement gym.JPG

2) top and bottom frames.JPG

3) vertical posts cut to size.JPG

4)vertical posts in place.JPG

5) top frame assembled.JPG

6) frame comparison with existing tank.JPG

7) rear and side braces in place.JPG

8) finished frame.JPG

9) fish tank view of the basement gym.JPG

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Sand is from a pool supply house...filter sand. I love the stuff and use it in all my tanks.

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Because the bottom of the waterline will be so visible, I'm thinking of doing aqua scaping that simultes a log jammed shoreline

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Ok, so here's the latest on my build. Everything is coming along as planned...I still need to fill my holes and sand it. Also, I haven't decided what I'm doing with the doors just yet. Let me know what you guys think.

10) top and inside floor in place.jpeg

11) interior shelf for easy access to food (no kneeling).jpeg

12) Maple face with door cut outs.jpg

13) skinned tank with top lip.jpg

14) top trim positioning.jpg

15) trim detail.jpg

16) trim detail 2.jpg

17) bottom and corner trim in place.jpg

tamzor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
galvestion
nice looking good so far. but every time i see work out equipment and a fish tank it reminds me of the video of the kid that accidental bust his fish tank.

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
that video was hillarious...no worries I have plenty of room to lift without busting the tank :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store