Thinking About Constructing a Monster Aquarium Yourself?

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
I am planning to write a detailed article about constructing large inexpensive fish tanks if there is sufficient interest. I have built many tropical fish aquariums over the years; the most recent is a 2400 gallon tank 12’ by 8’ by 4 feet high with a 7 foot window.
The cost in 2003 was $2,700.00 including everything: tank, heat, lighting, pump and filtration; but not including my 30 days labor, sales tax, power and water hook-up and ground prep.

I live in Seattle Washington USA, between the 47th and 48th parallel, North Latitude; my year-round average aquarium operating cost for electricity, weekly water changes, lighting and filtration pump operation is about $60 (US) monthly. These figures should give you a place to start when calculating your own monster fish tank operating expenses.

If you post to this thread tell us about your dream tank; what kinds of fish would you keep there? If you have questions I will try to incorporate them into my article. Do you have a do-it-yourself aquarium project experience to tell about? -- if so, I am sure other members would benefit.

This is a photo of my 2400 gallon aquarium at night looking into the 7 foot window.

This is a photo of my Arapaima Gigas which was 3” long in January of 2005 and is now over 36”. He/she eats trout chow, hot dogs, any fish up to 8”, shrimp, beef heart and fingers.

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
i'd be very interested in reading that article when its done. I"m sure i'm not alone on this. I've been interested in it for awhile but i was never confident that i'd be able to get the seal around the viewing window sound enough to not have a catastrophic failiure at some point.

As for the fish, i have a tropical gar, AUL, CK, and a few cats that i'd like to dump in something that size when the time comes. I"m sure along the way i'll add more to the list but i only have 100 gallons to work with right now :).

jason

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
I have dreams of doing one somday. But being 17 I have college to think of first, but would still love for you to write an article about building big tanks.

I would probably do big south american fish like what you have. I have always wanted a RTC would woudn't ever be able to give one a proper home uless I had a big tank like you. Also I would like a big ray tank.

I haven't built a tank. Tanks stands but no tank. I have though helped my uncle build a 9000gl koi pond though.

Reactions: PanAntV

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Wow, that is an impressive tank. I'd be very interested to see the article as well as your tank!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
How about doing the article in installments, from planning on up, then we wouldn't keep pestering you for the write-up :grinyes: .

Is it done yet huh? huh!? HUH!! :D

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
this is monster fish keepers! course we all wana know about how to build a monster tank. monster tank, would be awesome with so much space, could keep any type of rays. would it be that much harder to do it for salt water?

JardiniBoy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Taipei
www.reddragons.sc
This is a photo of my Arapaima Gigas which was 3” long in January of 2005 and is now over 36”. He/she eats trout chow, hot dogs, any fish up to 8”, shrimp, beef heart and fingers.
:WHOA: Whose fingers does he eat?!?

... but more seriously, I'm very interested to read your upcoming article(s) as this is something that I definately wanna do in the basement of my future house ... currently living in an apartment :(

Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
:WHOA: Whose fingers does he eat?!?

... but more seriously, I'm very interested to read your upcoming article(s) as this is something that I definately wanna do in the basement of my future house ... currently living in an apartment :(

Keep us posted :thumbsup:
My fingers, no teeth but you can hear his jaw snap from 100 feet away. You must wait for him to let go, takes a second, then you get your hand back.

I hope to get started on the article in a week or so and will be looking forward to all your comments.

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
How about doing the article in installments, from planning on up, then we wouldn't keep pestering you for the write-up :grinyes: .

Is it done yet huh? huh!? HUH!! :D
Good Idea; I won't feel rushed that way,

and so:

"In the beginning..."

Next installment in a week.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
I am sure we all appreiate the time you will put in for the info in the article. More information for me will result in less mistakes when I start my massive plywood tank. Thanks in advance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store