Bruce!

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
No, not Bogwoodbruce, lol.
For those of you who have noticed, I haven't been on MFK very much lately. Well, I've been busy with this new (and possibly worst) idea I had. I have a friend that I met a few years ago when I went over and purchased a 75-Gallon tank from her, which I no longer have, and she did this little "Fish Rescue" thing. Just recently she has stopped. She no longer has the money to keep all of the tanks running. She made sure the rest of the fish she still had were adopted out, and then quit.
So I thought, why not give it a try. I have been buying new fish all this time, when I could be helping someone else by taking any of their fish that are too large, aggressive, or they are moving, don't have the time for, etc. SO I posted an ad of Craigslist, explaining that I have all different kinds of tanks, lots of fish experience with many different species, etc.
The next day I got a call from someone that had a Saltwater Damsel that was too big for the tank and was beating up the other fish in the tank. So I went over and got the little guy and he now lives in my 55-Gallon Saltwater tank.(He was in a 10-Gallon with three others)
Next I got a call from someone who had a breeding group of Cichlids that they were trying to get rid of. (Had to downsize on the collection, and the wife was part of the issue, lol) They turn out to be 7 (3m4f) Albino Metriaclima Hajomaylandi "Cobue", which I have never seen in this area before.
And lastly, just yesterday we went to get a "10" Tiger Oscar" that was way too big for its 40-Gallon tank and also has HITH.(Knew I would get a call about an Oscar eventually) So we get there and get to see the fish in person, and it's HUGE! Def. not 10"! So we got him home and got him into the 60-Gallon, which isn't much, but def. way bigger than what he had! Got to measure him, and it appears that he is 14". For the first time in awhile, I actually named a fish. Bruce. The name def. suits him, lol. He makes my other Oscar look very small.
I also will be getting a 5" JD that is "In perfect condition, not a scratch on him" that they owner has to get rid of, because he is moving.
And the part that most of you were probably hoping for in the first place, pics...

Torey.jpeg

Rescues 003.jpg

Rescues 004.jpg

Rescues 001.jpg

Rescues 002.jpg

Oscar 001.jpg

Oscar 002.jpg

Oscar 003.jpg

Oscar 004.jpg

Oscar 005.jpg

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
akskirmish;3842349; said:
Nice to see ya back around...Good thing ya got going-But dont get burn't out yourself...
Thank you, and hopefully it doesn't get too bad.
Bottomfeeder;3842357; said:
Cool idea. Good looking Oscar, bet he's happy to be in a big enough tank.
Thanks, and he def. seems to be happier. I have actually hand fed him, which sounds crazy seems how he looks like he would take off your arm, lol .

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Just don't overwhelm yourself with the whole rescue thing. It is a very nice thing you are doing, but you could end up with way to many fish with large appetites that you would not have chosen for yourself in the firstplace.
G/L, thank's for the pics.

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
doubledragon;3842403; said:
Just don't overwhelm yourself with the whole rescue thing. It is a very nice thing you are doing, but you could end up with way to many fish with large appetites that you would not have chosen for yourself in the firstplace.
G/L, thank's for the pics.
I agree. I think I'm out of room for any more Oscars anyway, so that is one less to worry about. Hopefully the JD will be the only "Monster rescue" for awhile.
Thanks btw.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
very niiice job there
and great new fish to back it up

niiice and keep up the great work

and bruce is really neat lookin there

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
headbanger_jib;3844509; said:
very niiice job there
and great new fish to back it up

niiice and keep up the great work

and bruce is really neat lookin there
Thanks you. And I have started to like Bruce. Not the prettiest thing in the world, lol, but a hell of a )v(onster!:headbang2

Today I got to rescue yet another fish. This time it was a bit more serious. My mother, who is a Realtor, went into a house that was up for sale that the people had moved out of awhile back and saw that the house had two tanks with water. So she went over and looked, and one was a corner tank that had to be about 90-Gallons with live rock, fancy filtration, but it had two Koi in it. Weird. The next tank was a 55-Gallon, and as she looks into she sees a VERY underweight fish. She gave me a call and asked if I had the room for another rescue, and of course, I did. She said it was a 7" Bluegill, but wasn't positive. So when I got there I could see that it was a fairly large Green Sunfish, and was just awful looking. Got him out of the tank, and as we get ready to leave I see two claws pop out of a piece of wood that was in the tank. It was a Crayfish! Well, by the looks of the Sunfish, I didn't know if he had been eating or not, so I grabbed him too. What really pisses me off is that the Koi are fat and happy, and then you walk over and you see a fish starving to death and don't bother to feed it. My guess if that, because the Koi and tank go with the house they just decided to kill off the other fish.
Anyway, pics below. He looks a lot worse in person.

Green Sunfish 001.jpg

Green Sunfish 002.jpg

Green Sunfish 003.jpg

Green Sunfish 004.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store