New Ornate not eating

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
The ornate I got a little over a week ago still hasn't eaten. When I brought him home I put him in the 30 with the other bichirs and everyone got along great... but he didn't eat. I tried frozen bloodworms, frozen beefheart, frozen brine shrimp, and rosies. Also chopped earthworm. He seemed to be looking for the food but didn't get interested in what I had to offer. I started to worry on about the third day when he hadn't eaten, and I moved him to the 20... the 20 I use to keep all the feeder fish before they get eaten. At his size, I should be able to tell if he eats a rosy by the size of his belly... and I check on him all the time but I haven't even seen him chase the feeders let alone eat one. I'm still offering the other foods but he still isn't interested. He still looks healthy enough - active and interested in the movements around him... Just not eating. Maybe I'm just losing it. Can a fish go a week and a half without food?? Any ideas?

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
Try feeding it during the night with lights out. Also it's probably still trying to get used to its new environment and could be the reason why it's not eating. Try to feed it some market shrimp or smelt. Just cut it up in to smaller pieces so it could swallow them. Try some hikari carni pellets also . Just keep trying to offer it food and it will eventually eat.

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
bichir which are healthy can go without food for a long time. why not try some sinking pellets? when i bought 2 young ornates, they immediately liked the pellets i threw in for my pleco's. now they hardly want anything else (just like by big one). i would give it a shot.

rkc772

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Southern California 91744
Try feeding it during the night with lights out. Also it's probably still trying to get used to its new environment and could be the reason why it's not eating. Try to feed it some market shrimp or smelt. Just cut it up in to smaller pieces so it could swallow them. Try some hikari carni pellets also . Just keep trying to offer it food and it will eventually eat.

got the same problem here... got two new ornate bichirs at around 8" each. the lfs had feeders inside but when i put some feeders both did not eat any of the 4 feeders. i tried to feed it with blood worm, black worm, and market shrimp at first (when they were with the datnoids they gulp the shrimp but immediately spit it out. so i transfered them to the 180 gal and tried and tried.. it has been 4 days already. i'll try the night time thing. are bichirs nocturnal?:screwy:

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
i'll try the night time thing. are bichirs nocturnal?:screwy:
yes the majority are. but senegalus and palmas polli can be considered diurnal also because they are so active even during the day. small ornates are especially nocturnal in general. so try the night time feeding with lights out. thats how i feed all my bichirs. also as mentioned they are still probably adjusting to their new environment.

rkc772

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Southern California 91744
yes the majority are. but senegalus and palmas polli can be considered diurnal also because they are so active even during the day. small ornates are especially nocturnal in general. so try the night time feeding with lights out. thats how i feed all my bichirs. also as mentioned they are still probably adjusting to their new environment.

i think they don't like feeders.. which is actually good (avoiding diseases). i'll drop some shrimp and let me observe them. hopefully they'll eat it.:D

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
i think most species of bichirs tend to be nocturnals while some are diurnals. it took about a month before i saw my ornate ate something.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I think they are just getting used to their new enviroment and moving them has caused even more stress, put them in their home for the time being and let him be. I just leave new fish alone as survival usually will set in long before starvation. continue offering foods but dont worry if they dont eat unless it becomes a month or so. Healthy fish can go a long time with out eating my senegal wouldnt eat the first cpl of days i bought him home now he stuffs himself with whatever i drop into the tank. Give him time.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
My ornates when small under 12 inches were the most nocturnal bichirs I owned-Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store