640gal tank project

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Ok, i just got back from looking at a 640gal tank and i finally decided to buy it. it has filtration on it but is under powered and the sump is under the tank. due to the 48'' height of the tank I have decided to go with a custom overhead filter so i can bring the tank closer to the ground making it easier to do matanence.

Heres the plan,
the stand will be 8ft long x 4ft deep x 2ft tall (I have to do this this week because im going pick up the tank next weekend)

my filtration was originally going to be 2x mag 18 pumps conected to 2x 45gal rubbermaid containers and 2x FX5s but i decided to go with 3x mag 18s with 3 x 45gal rubbermaid containers stuffed with polyfill and scrubbies.

I will build a hood with lighting (not shure what lighting yet)

next to this setup i will be building a stand and sump for my 100 gal(which will become my growout tank)

above the 100gal tank will be a 55gal hospital tank

behind the 55 gal tank will be a 150 gal rubbermaid stock tank for preconditioning and heating water for waterchanges, I know this part is not nessesary but i dont have any hot water near where this setup is going to be. I will use the old pump to get the water into the tanks.

I will post pics as i go.

Feel free to comment on any suggestions or concerns you may have on this setup.:)

Sirspifalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Illinois
Are the rubbermades going to be connected together or are they all there own separate unit?

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Sirspifalot;3977016; said:
Are the rubbermades going to be connected together or are they all there own separate unit?

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com
they will be there own seperate units but worry of them failing and overflowing due to one pump not working will be eleminated because the sumps will be on top of the tank. when a pump fails there will be no water going to the sump there for no overflow of the sump.
I am assuming that was your concern.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Isolating the sump containers will also allow you to service one while the others are still running, which is always a plus. And redundancy, if one pump quits working (or one sump gets clogged), the other keep on chugging unaffected.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Conner;3977090; said:
Isolating the sump containers will also allow you to service one while the others are still running, which is always a plus. And redundancy, if one pump quits working (or one sump gets clogged), the other keep on chugging unaffected.
thats exactly why i went with 3 smaller pumps instead of one bigger pump.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I spent the day tearing down a stand i was building for 8 tanks varying from 10 gal to 55 gal.
It was not an easy project due to it all being screwed, glued and overall overbuilt.
but now i have room to start building the stand so when i get the 560gal next weekend it can go right on the stand.

Sirspifalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Illinois
broken;3977067; said:
they will be there own seperate units but worry of them failing and overflowing due to one pump not working will be eleminated because the sumps will be on top of the tank. when a pump fails there will be no water going to the sump there for no overflow of the sump.
I am assuming that was your concern.
Excellent! That was indeed my concern. I see tanks all the time for sale on craigslist that have dual sumps that aren't connected in any way and giggle to myself. Also a side note mag drives are pretty reliable. Excited to see this build get rollin weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I started cutting wood to make the stand today after work and got tired of cuts that were a tad unsquare and decided to get a miter saw.
after i bought that thing cutting wood staight seems to be a breese.
Im a couple of 2x4s short so back to lowes tomrrow i go.

On a sadder note, the store im buying the tank from might not get the glass to replace the front window that the tank is comming out of in time for the weekend so i might not be able to get it this weekend and i work next weekend so i might not be getting the tank for another two weeks.

Im still going to try to get the tankstand built for the weekend just incase.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store