I setup a new Jellyfish tank.

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
I just finnished setting up a 25 gallon jellyfish tank. I used a tall 25 gallon tank, a filstar xp3 canister filter and a tank divider.

I cut the tank divider and made a 3 sided box that I siliconed to the bottom back corner of the tank and then I cut a hole in the top that I stuck the intake of the filter inside to ensure that no jellyfish get sucked into it. I then used a spraybar for the return aimed at the back pane of glass and slightly downward to make a rollover effect in the tank so that the jellies can remain moving in the water colum. There is no substrate and no live rock, just a bare glass tank. All the bio media is in the filter cycleing as of right now. I will be getting my jellies from the local beach once we get a fine day to go collecting. The species I will be keeping are called "Moon Jellies".

There is a 50/50 % chance this will work. If it does i'll be sure to let everyone know the cheep way to keep jellies. :thumbsup:

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
Here are some pictures of my setup. When the filter is running the sponge you see in the photos is suspended in the water and keeps moving just like the jellyfish should. I added anouther section to my intake box since there was a dead spot in the corner. All is well now.

oceanscurve

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2006
USA
:drool: wow that is so cool. Ive been thinking about new tank and that very well could be what I do.

Thanks,

Tom

DarthLungFish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
EARTH
Wow, Good Luck! I would like to know how it works out for you!! :grinyes:

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
are the jellys dangerous ? and what other types of small saltwater fish/inverts do u find up that way, ive been thinking about taking a trip to the nova scotia/newfoundland area to go snorkling and collect sw species for my 20g tank.

by the way nice idea! cant wait to see pics

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
No, the Jellyfish im getting are not dangerous, They are called moon jellies and are native to this area. Well to tell you the truth there isn't much in our waters. I've been told that there is stuff like moray eels, groupers, crabs, snails, starfish, and outher more unattractive fish but not much to interest a reefer. But you might prove me wrong and have a great collection day. Where are you from?

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
im from ontario (near toronto) i remember seeing a red starfish in the ocean in newfoundland on some rocks as a child. i really want to go back and see what i can catch.

Justin_James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2006
Canada, Nova Scotia
Well it's difficult to attain the roll effect in a square tank but I have achieved it quite nicely. There are jellyfish tanks made from normal tanks that have slops made out of acrylic that are siliconed down into the front and back corners where the front and back meet the bottom pane but with my spraybar I didn't need to do that. If this doesn't work out for me then I will try some outher stuff but I actually got to talk to the guy that owns "MIDWATER SYSTEMS" and had a great talk with him over the phone and he says that my system will probably work. He said to test with a piece of papper towl and see where it goes so that I will know exactly how the jellyfish will move so I did. It worked like a charm and the papper towle stayed in the center of the tank with a gently rolling effect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store