Algae turf Scrubber Completed

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
So I have added a turf scrubber to my tank. Took about 45 minutes to make once I had all of the parts. Purchased:

5 Feet of 3/4" PVC $1.18
3/4" end cap $0.35
2x 3/4" elbow fittings $0.56
1" to 3/4" bushing $0.57
3/4" union $3.56
PVC cement and Primer $6.96
Grow Light $5.98
Clamp Light $6.08
Plastic Canvas $0.39

Grand Total: $25.63

Keep in mind I did not have to buy a pump as I already had an additional outlet plumbed into my return line to my tank. So the return pump is feeding both the return line and the algae scrubber.

I will be adding a second light to the back of the scrubber.

I put the union in for easy removal to clean the scrubber.

I will post more pics in a week to show the algae growth.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
So I am getting some bubbles in my display. This has been an ongoing battle for some time. The last section of my sump where the return pump is, is very small. Water levels drops quickly due to evap. Also bubbles form when the water falls over the last baffle. The baffle just before that is raised so water flows under it. Should I just remove the last baffle? I have attached a diagram for visual aid.

Thanks

Sump.gif

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
I went ahead and removed the last baffle. No more bubbles in the display tank and the pump section does not drop as quick due to the amount of water there is in the combined section. Now when I do my regular top offs each day there is no gurgling vortex effect caused by the pump. Yeah!

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I actually have a perverted love for algae. Can't wait to see what types you get on that thing.

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
I did a lot of research on these online and got some good info here as well. A user on here did a great write up which made me finally decide to try it. I am unable to use RO water due to cost of unit/running waste water so I am always looking for ways to lower what nutrients I do have. My Nitrates fluctuate between 5 and 10 at times which is high for a reef tank and I barely get a phosphate reeding. So I am trying to get those to zero or as close to it without having to use an RO system or buy RO water. I will post updates as the scrubber progresses along with more photos.

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
The1and only;4176946; said:
If you could I would put an extension on the bottom of the scrubber sheet so it sits in the water it will keep down the noise and if the algae reaches that far it will dcontinue to grow on top of the water.
I actually intend on lowering the unit slightly to accomplish this.

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
There is another light on the back side now. Lights are only a couple of inches away. Looks deceiving in the photo. I guess I will just add another section and make it that much bigger instead of lowering the whole unit. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store