New Haunted House!

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
So this year my gf and I found an investor and designed and built a professional haunted house (not a garage haunt, but a legit business attraction). She has years of experience in running haunted houses, and I just like horror and building stuff. :D

This will be the first season we are open but will hopefully do well enough for there to be a next year. We spent 1/4 of our budget on advertising (radio, tv, fliers, coupons, posters, banners, etc...). We are going old school for this first season... meaning no animatronics, completely actor based. We have a good mix of veteran haunters and energetic n00bs ready to scare the **** out of every victim that steps through the entrance! :eek3:

The location is in Maumee, Ohio right on the edge of Toledo. Would love to have some MKF'ers in the region check us out. Got to make enough money to pay back the investor less this be my last post! :p

Here's a couple teaser pics. Keep in mind these were taken with a bright flash with the house lights on, and not the actual mood lights that will be running when we are open for tours. :duh:

Admission is $10 (cheapest in the area), but if you are interested in coming out, pm me for some coupons. :headbang2

Thanks for looking! :)

JMB_4547.jpg

JMB_4609.jpg

JMB_4614.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
considering it all it looks promising especially if your going to have actors running around scaring people as well...

Just too bad i'm not in the US or i'd probably drop by to check it out since i love a good scare... either way, best of luck with your project...

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Best of luck! I don't know how long your gonna be scaring each night but I would recommend your actors to get some camel backs because you can easily hide them under your costume and it makes it easier to steal a drink before your next group of people comes through. It looks really good though. If I was up North I would come check you out.

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
Thanks a lot everyone! Really appreciate the good words!

We have our first (and only) dress rehearsal this Friday. Can't wait to see it all finally come together! We have been discussing this since last Christmas, and have been demolishing/building since June.

Thanks for the advice sidneymysnake! Myself, the art director (my gf), the investor, and the security guy will be making rounds through the haunt with drinks for the actors, and to give them breaks/rotate them in and out.

We are putting the last touches on the haunt tomorrow and weds, and should be completely (and finally!) finished.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Looks good so far and I'd like to visit but you are probably around eight hours away.How about a shot of the outide of the place?

Reptilesfishbirdsmammals

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Arizona
sweet to bad im in northern michigan..come to alpena if so id love to stop by and talk to you guys especially another MFKer..but best of luck anyways hm?

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
Be sure to go over the legal with the actors. Some people live to sue haunted houses. I have worked my fair share and they are a blast. How long is the walk through of house? Pharaoh's sister runs on here that is all donations to the local food bank.

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
I'll snap a pic of the outside of the place tomorrow to post up. It's really not impressive from the outside. Were in the inside corner of an "L" shaped strip mall.

The investor (who has also been hands on through the whole thing) is a local real estate/legal mogul. He has some detailed excellent contracts written up for each actor to sign. It covers our ass, and theirs. We have a really good insurance policy that covers actors, customers, and property.

The haunt is 4000sqft, and the walkthrough takes anywhere from 3-7 minutes depending on how fast you walk, stop to look at detail and whatnot. We are guessing the average will be about 5 minutes or so. But we are going to make sure that if feels like much, much longer!

Thanks again to everyone for the words of encouragement!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store