Is this a baby monster?

zekni

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
St. George, Utah
Because it looks like a catfish to me. The extent on my catfish knowledge is that they usually get big.
I was at one of my favorite lfs today helping a friend pick out fish to put in her new aquarium, and I always have to pick the little oddballs out of the feeder tank.. especially because I think it's hilarious to watch the employees try to fish these guys out amongst millions of ghost shrimp. You'd think one of these days they'd let me do it. Anyway..

So, out of the feeder tanks, I came away with one colorful platy, a guppy, a dozen or so ghost shrimp, two swamp darters and this unidentified little catfish for $2.14... :D
Right now the little guy is about 3/4", and he's hard to snap pics of... but does anyone have any idea what he is? The lfs guy said their feeder stock all comes out of florida, if that helps anything.

Sorry about the cat hair next to the tank. I swear it doesn't show up like that in real life :p

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
still to young to tell what it is. Obviously a catfish, possibly a bullhead, or channel......... Bodywise that is what it looks like anyways.

Lepomis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Georgia
looks like a madtom catfish to me possibly tadpole madtom (Noturus gyrinus) hard to tell species from picture.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I agree with Lepomis. Looks like a tadpole madtom (Noturus gyrinus). Cool cat but, be careful around it. It's pectoral fin spines hold venom glands and their sting is as painful as a wasp sting.

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
well, i know for sure it is not a infant/baby bullhead or channel i have had own both of them less than an inch before, (i bought them with accidentaly found in a minno tank at a bait store.) bull heads when they are born they are black and channel don't have dark spots like yours. By the way... I think it's kinda sad to see a catfish smaller than guppies:screwy:

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Don't know how much more ID you want. You have the names and the actual fish in front of you. Google it yourself for a positive ID.

BTW, a distinguishing characteristic of the madtom cats is that the adipose fin (2nd dorsal) is attached/blended into the caudal (tail) fin. And, you're correct in that they should not be used as feeders. Their envenomated fin spines are to help save them from being eaten.

zekni

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
St. George, Utah
Oddball;477258; said:
Don't know how much more ID you want. You have the names and the actual fish in front of you. Google it yourself for a positive ID.

BTW, a distinguishing characteristic of the madtom cats is that the adipose fin (2nd dorsal) is attached/blended into the caudal (tail) fin. And, you're correct in that they should not be used as feeders. Their envenomated fin spines are to help save them from being eaten.
I didn't mean I doubted you guys. My impression was the id was mostly "it looks like.. but it's still small and hard to tell." If you're sure, you're sure. :) Thanks.

hydrocynus7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Chattanooga,TN USA
Rock on , ODDBALL . Seen lots of them . great to have people like you around! I wish my wife liked catfish as much as I do. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store