Using Preassure treat Wood to build 180 gallon stand framing?

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
I'd save those treated boards for a job that needs them....However, I can't think of any cons, other than price.

Pressure treated wood does have some very harsh chemicals in it, but so does untreated lumber(I work at a sawmill). I can't really say what chemicals are used to dip wood right after it is cut, but I do know if you stick your hand in it you won't recognize what comes back out. These chemicals are given plenty of time to dry in a kiln, but I'm sure there is still some residual stuff left over. Just don't get sawdust into your aquarium.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
OKay, I'm not worried about the treatment being that they will be skined once assembled. I already have them and truely don't have a need for them at this point and can't froesee me suing them fro anything. I originally purchased them for a fence that i put up to keep my Mastiffs in the back half of our property. There was quit a bit left over. I have 2x4's and a couple of 4x4's.

So Either way, they will be fine for construction. Is there a benefit to any specific type of wood for stand construction? Frame-wise?

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
I would not use any pressure treated wood indoors, but thats just me. Supposedly theyre now treating it with less toxic chemicals, but in my mind theres no room for error when it comes to possibly toxic chemicals. Furthermore theres no regulations on the chemicals used, so different chemicals in different ratios are used nationwide. Im not willing to take the risk, but another person might.

taninsama

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2009
Sierra Vista, AZ
What kind of mastiffs do you have? I have a bull mastiff. I would say that if you have the wood, why buy others? Yes, like the others have said, I would be careful using them because of the chemicals. It's just the stand, right? I don't see any problem with that...

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
It doesn't matter really....As long as the stand is constructed properly, you shouldn't have a problem with any type of wood. We cut Southern Yellow Pine (loblolly, longleaf, shortleaf) and that is what I use for everything. Pine is a fairly soft wood, but it, and anything harder, will be more than adequate. I'd try to pick boards with as few knots as possible to use for main supports. If you have to use knotty boards, use the boards with the knots toward the center of the board.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Oscarum monstruoso;4713837; said:
I would not use any pressure treated wood indoors, but thats just me. Supposedly theyre now treating it with less toxic chemicals, but in my mind theres no room for error when it comes to possibly toxic chemicals. Furthermore theres no regulations on the chemicals used, so different chemicals in different ratios are used nationwide. Im not willing to take the risk, but another person might.
I'm telling you....Any wood that a normal person can buy will have very harsh chemicals in it. Even if the wood is not pressure treated, it will still have been exposed to very toxic chemicals. There are regulations on the chemicals used as well. I am speaking from experience, actually having seen the untreated wood submersed in chemical...Not something I heard or read.

IMG_1004.jpg

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Oscarum monstruoso;4713837; said:
Yeah, I heard that being exposed to PT wood for long durations can be harmful but that is the freash stuff. This stuff had all summer to dry out and has been rained on a tiny bit before being brought in a drying out again. Should be okay... Thank you for the concern though!

taninsama;4713883; said:
What kind of mastiffs do you have? I have a bull mastiff. I would say that if you have the wood, why buy others? Yes, like the others have said, I would be careful using them because of the chemicals. It's just the stand, right? I don't see any problem with that...
I breed and show the English Mastiff.

Yes, it's wood that has been purchased over the summer so I figured why should I spend the money when it's sitting right there. Just the stand!

Piscine;4713898; said:
I'm telling you....Any wood that a normal person can buy will have very harsh chemicals in it. Even if the wood is not pressure treated, it will still have been exposed to very toxic chemicals. There are regulations on the chemicals used as well. I am speaking from experience, actually having seen the untreated wood submersed in chemical...Not something I heard or read.
Nice Logs there! I have ab uddy that's a tree climber and he would get a kick out those bad boys!

Thanks for all of the Responses! I will take a look at the DIY section and get some good ideas for the best possible structure. I'm going to look at a 5year old custom order 180 gallon in a few. Looks nice from the pics. Comes with acrylic tops and no stand for $200-$250. If I like it I will put a deposit down on it, get a signed receipt and take some measurements and come home and most likely start cutting this evening. The night is young so It should prove to be a productive one! My largest tank right now is a 75Gal...

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Mastiffman;4713882; said:
Understandable. would you use PT wood if it was Covered with finished plywood and stained?
It really depends. It sounds like you shouldnt have any trouble, good luck with the project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store